You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-12-2016 14:13:09  #1

Smith Corona Silent

I purchased a 1951 Smith Corona Silent a few days ago and it could become one of my favorite typewriters, although not quite beating the Olympias.  I added a new felt cushion for the keys and straightened out one slightly bent bar.  A new ribbon and it went right to work.  I like the feel of typing with it and the rapid strike and release of the keys.

27-12-2016 15:27:35  #2

Re: Smith Corona Silent

Enjoy it!
I have not yet had a Corona in hand, but I am curious how it feels compared to Remingtons, which I almsot always like to use.

09-2-2017 09:44:50  #3

I'm wondering how the SC is holding up for you, and whether it still ranks up near your Olympias.

09-2-2017 11:39:01  #4

I'd love to hear other impressions of a SCS c.50s machine as compared to an Olympia. I consider the Olympia the gold standard, and I wonder if a SCS takes Silver or Bronze in your view?

09-2-2017 18:43:37  #5

The Smith-Corona Super-5 models were fantastic typewriters, and I would rank them, when compared to other portables that were manufactured in North America, very high - perhaps even highest. There's no question that their somewhat stodgy design is more difficult to get excited about, but in terms of performance and type action, I would argue that it's only the Remington -Riter models that rival them. In Smith-Corona's marketing hyperbole the Super-5 models were claimed to be "The World's Fastest Portables".

A comprehensive comparison of portable typewriters from that era would be a daunting task, but given your criteria, and despite how good Super-5 models are, I would always opt for an Olympia SM given the choice.

It's too bad that I still haven't finish the article that I started long ago entitled Slaughterhouse Five that compares the features of all the Super-5 models, because this would be an appropriate place to post it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2017 00:30:42  #6

Are the SC Super Silents the same machine as the Super-5?

10-2-2017 00:33:43  #7

Ok, I think I get it now. 5 was the body style, correct?

10-2-2017 09:19:18  #8

pdxtypewriter wrote:

Ok, I think I get it now. 5 was the body style, correct?

Yes, Super-5 was the name for the design generation of models that Smith-Corona sold from the late '40s to the early '60s.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera