You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-3-2017 12:24:52  #1

What typewriter are you using currently?

Just curious as to what typewriter(s) you are using currently.

I've been using the new Royal Futura 800.  I may do some stand up typing tonight, in which case I'll be using the Royal HH.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

21-3-2017 13:04:25  #2

Re: What typewriter are you using currently?

"Stand up typing"? Is that anything like stand up comedy? 

I have three machines on my desk today. An Olympia SG1 that is pretty much a permanent fixture, and two machines that I'm tinkering with, an Olivetti Lettera 36 (electro-mechanical) that was seized up but is running now, and a Royal Model P that I bought from a fellow local collector on Sunday. The Royal is missing a couple of springs and needs a new drawband, and cosmetically a lot of TLC, but it's all coming along nicely. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-3-2017 14:08:29  #3

Currently I'm working on a Lettera 22, 1955 beige color. Types fine after a little cleaning, and I've adjusted the alignment of the capital letters (unusual adjustment, with two eccentric nuts under the ribbon cover -- fiddly). Now I'm pondering what to do to replace the infamous grommets that keep the cover from rattling on the frame, which are basically gone -- seems like the grommet size is something not readily available at hardware stores. Maybe rubber washers/spacers might work better.

A few other issues I need to address, but as it is it types very nicely -- much better feel than the Studio 44 I have. I can see why these are highly regarded!

21-3-2017 15:18:39  #4

The Facit 1620 has been an office fixture since acquiring it some months ago. Yesterday I did some letter writing with it, blue ink onto parchment paper.

21-3-2017 19:02:03  #5

My 1940 Underwood Noiseless standard is on my desk right now. I keep coming back to it even though the keyboard feel isn't the best, and the printing is still a bit weak, and the visibility of the typed text is atrocious. But I brought it back from the rusty grave about a year ago and it has been developing a lighter touch and better printing ever since so I guess I'm hooked on it. (But I'm rotating it out with the Underwood Touchmaster Five, and the Royal KMM, and even the R.C. Allen Visomatic, which needs a platen recovering badly)

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

21-3-2017 20:55:46  #6

My #1 right now is my 1928 Royal 10. I love it so much, that I (finally) mounted it to my typewriter desk and it is a daily user. Besides that, in 2nd place comes my 1953 Underwood SX-100 which I also really like.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

21-3-2017 21:02:31  #7

I have been lazy and using my Royal KMM for most of my typing, not counting testing and playing around. I have a recently acquired Royal KHM on my work bench, mid-cleaning.

22-3-2017 08:33:24  #8

I've been using the Studio 44 almost exclusively for weeks. I love it. A couple of days ago I had one of of those sudden brainstorms and got out the Hermes 3000, and have been using that one ever since. I love it too. They're both elite; the Hermes in particular has tiny print: 13cpi. But beautiful, clear print. And I just wrote a letter to a friend of mine who is a little bit older; for that I pulled out the Hermes 2000, because it's pica. I thought I'd be easier on his eyes.

22-3-2017 11:19:33  #9

Uwe wrote:

"Stand up typing"? Is that anything like stand up comedy? 

I have three machines on my desk today. An Olympia SG1 that is pretty much a permanent fixture, and two machines that I'm tinkering with, an Olivetti Lettera 36 (electro-mechanical) that was seized up but is running now, and a Royal Model P that I bought from a fellow local collector on Sunday. The Royal is missing a couple of springs and needs a new drawband, and cosmetically a lot of TLC, but it's all coming along nicely. 

Actually, no. I mean it quite literally.   The HH is on the peninsula of my cabinets.  I don't have a barstool to sit on, so unless I do some typewriter shifting with the three standards on the kitchen table, I will stand at the counter to use that one.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

22-3-2017 17:35:27  #10

Filling out some Boy Scouts forms with the Royal Aristocrat portable.
The platen ratchet release lets me line up on the little boxes just right and the carriage release lines up where it needs too.
All together a very likeable machine.

Board footera