You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-2-2017 18:31:30  #11

Re: Have you ever given a name for your typewriter?

Hmm--let's see.  Daddy Sam is a 1949 Royal Arrow portable manual; Katwoman is a 1946 Underwood Rhythm Shift upright manual; Mr. McGregor is a 1940 Underwood Master upright manual;  Dirty Harry is a 1974 Brother portable manual;  Mack the Knife is a 1958 Remington Letter Riter portable manual;  L. G. is a 1957 Royal electric upright;  Ira Bruno is a 1956 IBM electric upright;  Big Daddy Chuck is a 1956 Underwood 150 upright manual; Those are all the names I can think of off the top of my head.  I have more, but I haven't named them all just yet.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

25-3-2017 14:53:31  #12

My olympia SM9s name is Oliver. Nothing special he's just the other man in my life.

And now that you dont have to be perfect, you can be good  - John Steinbeck
http://www.theaccidentalscribe.com/

25-3-2017 16:07:39  #13

AccidentalScribe wrote:

My olympia SM9s name is Oliver. Nothing special he's just the other man in my life.

What would you call an Oliver model if you ever end up with one? It would get very confusing around your place calling for Oliver and two machines show up...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-3-2017 15:14:16  #14

My Underwood is named Underhill because I love The Lord of the Rings way too much. And my Royal Arrow has the temporary moniker of Oliver (must be a popular name), taken from the tv show Arrow.

06-4-2017 14:48:07  #15

No.

06-4-2017 16:02:50  #16

I only have one typewriter, the Smith Corona Galaxie Twelve XII, and I don't believe I'll be collecting typewriters anytime soon or maybe not at all. I'm satisfied with using the Galaxie since it's been a hard find. I did buy this typewriter online, and it's original color scheme was a double blue color tone, the body being blue and the keyboard being the lighter blue. Mine however has a blue body with a grey keyboard face. As far as names go, I feel it should have some sentimentality behind it. Although, it has only been almost a year since I've got it and used it. It might seem silly to name a typewriter like a farmer would name its cattle or livestock, but I think there's a purpose to giving something a name rather than just someone. I'm not sure what I'd call my typewriter. Maybe something related to space? It's a good thing I'm not a father, because my kids might be nameless for the first couple months of life. 

It's an artful consideration but for the time being, my typewriter will remain nameless (other than the name it has been given).

Read between the lines, I'll be there.

07-4-2017 17:24:50  #17

I call my 1940 Underwood Noiseless Standard by the name "Norma Desmond". Kind of an homage to the silent era of actors who seemed a little out of place in the later years. I also have "Smoky" which is a 1940 Underwood "Master" that was owned by my neighbor, who was a chain smoker and still bears the lingering aroma of her household environment. And then there's the "Headbanger" which is a 1946 Royal KMM which seems to just bang on the tabletop when I hit a key, like I was banging my head against the table. And, of course, there's the "Black Beauty" which is a 1936 Royal KHM in black lacquer who is gorgeous!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

13-9-2017 17:00:21  #18

I've renamed my Royal Arrow to Hammond (Top Gear/Grand Tour anyone?). The 40lb Royal KMM is Edgar because for some reason it sounds like a sturdy name. And since the space bar on my S-C Classic 12 is ever so slightly off and I misread the previous owner's name, it's now called Crooked Willy.

15-9-2017 09:18:53  #19

My Sears Manual 2 is named Michael, but he prefers Mike.  It just looks like a Mike.  I guess I'm weird. ( I also name my cars, which is helpful during a mechanical problem.)

19-9-2017 05:02:18  #20

I'm in the process of naming my typewriter. I'm not likely to ever own another one so it has to be good enough to last a long time. Seems like a pretty normal thing to name beloved possessions (cars, musical instruments, etc.) I've been naming all of my "favorite things" since I was very young. I once had an iPod named Oedipus. (Don't ask why, I really can't remember.) 

Board footera