You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-6-2018 16:06:37  #1

Chromed Smith Corona 5 series

Wow, is all I can say. Don't use in direct sunlight! 

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/atq/d/vintage-1950s-smith-corona/6610520807.html

07-6-2018 16:48:55  #2

Re: Chromed Smith Corona 5 series

I normally scoff at the high prices that some people ask for typewriters, but in this instance I actually think that it is well worth the money.  Where would you get another one ?  And it has been so well done too !

07-6-2018 19:00:27  #3

Although I always prefer machines in their original look, that's a beautiful one for sure. You'll get tan typing in direct sunlight, though.

08-6-2018 00:46:01  #4

Greetings All

As soon as I saw the first picture, I figured this must be the work of Dean Jones (Writertypes on eBay). The letter in picture # 8 confirmed it. The last chrome S-C Silent Dean sold on eBay went for just over $400. Anyone who has read Richard Polt's "The Typewriter Revolution" will know that Dean's work on the "Turbo-Platen" is noted on page 348.

All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

08-6-2018 16:46:58  #5

You could chrome plate your own machine for less than half the cost of that typewriter, if that's what you wanted. There are certain typewriter models that I think could benefit from such a treatment, but this machine isn't one of them. The plastic dark green keys don't work with chrome, nor do the olive-green parts such as the paper table and platen knobs. I actually think it looks garish, but then again, to each his own.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera