You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-8-2018 12:40:37  #1

Remington Noiseless Portable - just landed

This arrived through the post today.

Needs a deep clean, but to my inexperienced eye seems to be doing all the things it was designed to do, but could probably do them a bit better. I intend to only use it for light work, bad poetry a speciality. 

I'm surprised they got away with the name Noiseless. I suppose the Remington Somewhat Less-Noisy Portable doesn't flow off the tongue so easily...

Serial number: N73484. The original box mentions 1935. 

01-8-2018 12:42:35  #2

Re: Remington Noiseless Portable - just landed

01-8-2018 16:11:12  #3

RobMacKillop wrote:

… I'm surprised they got away with the name Noiseless. ...

You should know that Noiseless was the name of a typewriter manufacturer that had devoted itself to developing quiet typewriters. The company was taken over by Remington, and those models became know as the Remington Noiseless. I've tested a number of different typewriter models (Silent, Noiseless, Quiet, etc.) using a decibel meter, ones that promised a hushed performance and compared them to their regular counterparts, and in most cases the difference was marginal. The Remington Noiseless models were among the most effective. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-8-2018 16:36:10  #4

Cheers, Uwe. I was actually just reading about the Noiseless company before reading your post. I got delivery today of Anthony Casillo's book, "Typewriters", which has a few mentions of them. Lots of evolutionary dead ends in that book - fascinating stuff. 

Most of the typewriter histories seem to focus on the US, as most of them are written by US citizens for US publishers - I don't have a problem with that at all, but would also like to  read more about European and Japanese typewriter histories. Any suggestions? In fact, don't answer here - I'll start a new thread for that. 

20-10-2018 05:25:39  #5

Check your feed rollers for flats. These noiseless machines dont clack or thwack like a corona when the platens are viable. They are beautiful typers with a refined typeface. The typebar linkage in them is more cantilever style than catapult. They have 7 feed rollers i believe last time I took one down.
C

Board footera