You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-7-2019 02:29:47  #801

Re: New Member Thread

Hi all
Hi all
When you first invited new members to introduce themselves, did you envisage that there would be so many? Here's mine:
I think my interest in typewriters was sparked by a number of factors: an interest in literature and the use of the written word in every day life, the beauty of some older machines, a fascination with how things work and the sense of achievement in fixing things that don't (work). It started when I stumbled upon three vintage standard models in a local antique yard, bought the best example (an Underwood 5), inevitably went back for the other two (Remington 12, Smith Premier) and  have since picked up another eleven from various sources as opportunities have presented. I bought five somewhat unintentionally as I wanted a rough Underwood 5 for spares and it came as a job lot with an Olivetti 44 (surely the Darth Vader of typewriter design), Olympia 8 and SG1, Remington Standard 10 and a Royal KMM, all for a winning bid of £27...
My latest acquisition is a lovely Royal Model P in burgundy 'alligator skin' finish, with three mathematical notation keys. The box needed more restoration than the typewriter, including a new leather handle and a replacement piece of panel, along with fabricated lugs to connect with the metal hoops on the base panel.
I'm learning as I go and have been 'cutting my teeth' on the various functions of the Underwood 5 which needed sorting: replacing the paper guide rubbers, back space pawl (from the spares machine, along with a missing cylinder knob), new glass key top, new key labels for all keys etc. I'm currently trying to sort the automatic ribbon direction function...
The forum has been an excellent source of information and inspiration. I'm hoping to make more use of it now as a member and eventually hope to offer support as my skills and stock of spares develop! So if anybody needs any glass key tops making, rubber paper guides or spares for an Underwood 5...
Ian J, Sheffield, UK.

20-7-2019 13:22:28  #802

Glad you made the transition from lurker to member, Ian! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-8-2019 09:50:00  #803

Hello all - quick intro for me.

I own about 30 typewriters, and am working to restore most of them to working condition.  The one I'm currently working on is a 1915-17 -ish Hammond Model 12, which turns out to be half woodworking and half typewriter repairs.  It's now in workable condition but with a few more adjustments needed.

Most of my other machines are portables.  I mainly have Remingtons, Royals (including my original high school machine), SCs, and a couple of Olivettis.  People have given me five electric machines - those I have't even touched yet.  Throw in an Oliver and a few LC Smith / Remington standards and that rounds out the collection.

26-8-2019 19:17:39  #804

Hello everyone,

My name is as mentioned in my signature! I am from Lafayette, Louisiana, and originally found my interest in typewriters when it came to finding another way to write my poetry, being that my print handwriting was not that great until I learned to write in cursive script. I have a Smith-Corona from the 30s that of course has that beautiful art deco vibe to it, and I was currently handed down my Great Great Uncle Marion's typewriter, also from the 30's, which I have been fixing up over the past couple of weeks with many trials and tribulations... But she is getting there! Much thanks for allowing me to join this endeavor!

Étienne Antonin Gaspar de Normandy

28-8-2019 11:22:39  #805

Welcome to the forum, Étienne and pk47! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-10-2019 14:44:52  #806

Hello, my name is SliverOfSand!

I am extremely new to typewriters, as I have only just got my first one about a month ago, a Smith-Corona Electra 220 (‘73). I fell in love with it right away, and have worked at getting it fixed up. The one original belt was rotting, so I got it fixed with a simple 4 inch O-ring and it now works even better than before. 

Three days ago I purchased two more. A Brother Deluxe 1510 (‘70?) for my sister, and a Commodore for myself. I haven’t been able to find the exact model for this one, but it is a portable manual that seems like it’s from the late 50’s, early 60’s. It doesn’t have an option for red ink or stencil, as I’ve seen some very similar models that have those options. If anyone has an idea of what model it could be, I’d be very grateful!

I’m very excited to join in the discussion of typewriters, and to share my obsession with others!

29-10-2019 17:45:06  #807

Welcome to the forum, Sliver. Identifying your Commodore won't be a problem. Start a new topic (thread) in the Portables sub-forum and include a photo of it. Instructions for posting photos here can be found here:  Typewriter Talk FAQ - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

29-10-2019 17:59:05  #808

Uwe wrote:

Welcome to the forum, Sliver. Identifying your Commodore won't be a problem. Start a new topic (thread) in the Portables sub-forum and include a photo of it. Instructions for posting photos here can be found here:  Typewriter Talk FAQ - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I’ll be sure to upload a photo of it, as I would love to know exactly what model it is and how old! :D

30-10-2019 16:23:56  #809

Hello all,
Having already posted in the Maintenance & Repairs area, I found this part of the Forum and thought I'd say 'hello' properly. I'm glad to have found this forum - I've been gathering online typewriter info for almost 2 years now, so thought it was about time to join a forum to add my questions and input to the typewriter conversation. I first got a typewriter almost 2 years ago to get away from the vortex of my computer. I carried out a good amount of research, reading reviews of all sorts of portables and matching mechanical qualities with my aesthetic preferences. I arrived at the Lettera 32, a light blue 1965 machine from Italy in my case. I love it's dark glossy keys and how they seem to rest like stairs for climbing, the surrounding protective blue metal a sturdy and classy companion. I confess it was purchased from a professional restorer, one who does a good job cleaning up typewriters and selling them in excellent condition, albeit without platen recovering. It has been a good entrance into the typewriter world and a good model of how captivating these machines can be when they are well-cared for or, better yet, brought back to life.
Soon after acquiring my Lettera 32, I picked up a grimy, dusty Lettera DL for £20 in a charity shop. I learned a lot about how to properly clean typewriters while ridding it of its accumulated filth, and it is a nice little (quiet) typer now. Half a year went by, and I found myself tempted to acquire another portable. Originally seeking a Lettera 22 I purchased a 1965 Hermes 3000. The price was just right, and I didn't mind one bad platen knob. It is currently dismantled on my desk. I measure the extent of my interest in these machines by how far I will go in taking them apart, seeing how they work. But the carriage of a 3000 lying on your desk and the intimidating task it requires of you before you can use the machine once again provides as good a lesson as any in avoidance or procrastination. I'm sure it will go back on smoothly... tomorrow. Anyway, I'm hoping this forum can (continue) to guide and expand the limits of my maintenance of typers I find myself tinkering with. I've learned a good amount about Hermes 3000s, and as I just picked up a charity shop SM8, I'm sure I'll learn something about Olympias... tomorrow.

31-10-2019 04:33:03  #810

Hello typeitup, thanks for sharing your story.

Wich model of the SM 8 did you pickup?
If you're not sure, this link may help: https://xoverit.blogspot.com/2015/04/olympia-sm-series-part-2-1964-1980s.html

Because I'm tempted to buy a Lettera 22 or 32, how does the Lettera 32 compare to the SM 8?

Thanks,
Lau

Board footera