You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-8-2019 15:55:01  #1

Underwood Universal 1936-Spacebar Stops Halfway along Carriage

Hello all, I have been diligently fixing my dearly departed Great Great Uncle Marion's typewriter that was sitting around in my grandmother's garage for some twenty to thirty years. Problems ranged from needing new feet, to a broken drawstring, etc... I have all but fixed it and it works perfectly, except for that the carriage stops halfway through when spacing through a document. I have never come across this bizarre manifestation in a typewriter before. Does anyone have any idea of what may be happening and how to go about fixing it?

*N.B. It happens to work and continue on whenever you lift it up and set it down gently... I will post a video from YouTube with an example within the hour...

Étienne Antonin Gaspar de Normandy

26-8-2019 18:58:56  #2

Re: Underwood Universal 1936-Spacebar Stops Halfway along Carriage

[url=https://youtu.be/DM3kEG_PYgw]https://youtu.be/DM3kEG_PYgw

So if you follow the link above, you will be able to see what I am talking about... It took a bit longer to get this on considering plans went a bit sidetracked when I was looking for a Typewrite repair manual at the library and found one, but could not check it out...[/url]

Étienne Antonin Gaspar de Normandy

29-8-2019 11:30:28  #3

Hi Étienne

I realize this is not the exact same model, but on my 1940 Canadian built Under Leader S/N-E1315238, I found that the nut holding the draw band on the right hand end of the carriage was just touching and  hanging up on the right hand edge of the main cover. To address this issue, I adjusted the lower carriage stop up just enough to make the nut clear the cover, but not enough to effect the lower case print quality. Then adjust the upper carriage stop to re-align the upper and lower case printing. Hope this gives you something to work with.  All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

29-8-2019 13:24:13  #4

My shoot would aimed to some malfunction in the carriage lock, seen that the carriage stops just when it hits the centre of the machine.In the left corner of the machine on the rails of the carriage a moving part that you can fiddle with, maybe is the spring broken? can you move that part with the finger and make the carriage move past the centre?

31-8-2019 11:46:13  #5

I had a Kolibri that did this, and when I adjusted the carriage height so that is was even on both ends and the characters printed evenly in both lower and upper case, the problem went away.

Board footera