You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-7-2014 11:04:56  #1


Singer Professional (aka, Smith-Corona Galaxie?)

I bought this, my first ever manual typewriter, at the flea market this past weekend for $10! 


It was in pretty good shape, apart from having a few bent keys.  Needed a good cleaning, of course.  Had some issues with double characters, but I've managed to figure out that's due to a combination the platen having hardened and my hitting the keys with too much force.  It types fine with I ease up a bit. 

Haven't found much about this model online.  It appears it's a rebranded Smith-Corona Galaxie.  Least that's the closest model I can find that looks like it.


"That's that writing, that's typing" - Truman Capote
 

11-7-2014 22:25:10  #2


Re: Singer Professional (aka, Smith-Corona Galaxie?)

Nice machine, especially the paint scheme - congratulations! You are correct that it's a Smith-Corona in disguise, and that's really good news. Smith-Corona, amoung other manufacturers, made typewriters for Singer which were sold alongside the company's sewing machines in their retail outlets.

 

20-7-2014 13:20:05  #3


Re: Singer Professional (aka, Smith-Corona Galaxie?)

I also got a Smith Corona under the "badge name" Sears Tower.   It is clearly a Smith as I could see from the inner workings.  It looks similar to yours.   It works great, but I only paid $5 dollars for it at a garage sale.  I would suggest, in the future, that you look further as Smiths seem to be plentiful and can be bought for much less.   I have seen at least seven in the last two months--six at antique stores where the prices are known to be high, for $60 average.   Also one for $20 at a garage sale.  




 

 

Board footera