You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-12-2017 09:58:10  #1

Purpose of a Typewriter Pad?

Noise reduction only?

Any disadvantages?  Will it slide on a glass surface?

I've seen felt ones.  Is that the type to get if I get one?

Are they primarily for Standards or are they good for Portables too (SM3)?

Thanks,
Dan

08-12-2017 12:03:52  #2

Re: Purpose of a Typewriter Pad?

Hi Dan

​Typewriter pads can either hold your typewriter in place or let it slide around depending on the typewriter, the pad material and the surface on which you are typing. SCM Smith-Corona Galaxie XII stays put on a card table, but slides all over the place on a felt pad. Olympia SM-4 moves around on same table but stays put on a square of foam rubber carpet underlay.

The underlay I found is pale green, has plastic film backing on one side and a woven backing on the other. Cut a 12" square and round off the corners for looks, peel the backing off both sides and this holds my typewriters solidly in place. Hope this gives you some ideas,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

08-12-2017 14:59:02  #3

I use a number of different pads, for different purposes, all on the same typing surface (a smooth wood laminate desk):
* For relatively quiet and light-weight machines I use a square sheet of rubberized shelving material that prevents any typewriter from moving around.
​* For big standards (which typically don't have movement issues) I use a one inch thick felt pad to minimize vibration through the desk and reduce sound.
​* For any machine that I've recently repaired or serviced - or new-to-me machines that I'm testing out - I have an oversized, 10 mm thick, smooth rubber mat that not only prevents a machine from moving on the desk, but is also easy to clean (it collects the dirt that falls out of newly purchased machines, and also errant oil drips from recently serviced ones).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-4-2018 22:54:59  #4

I *need* a typewriter pad.  Not noise reduction, although that would be a plus.  No, I need a pad to keep the typewriter in place.  Mine tends to scoot to the side as time goes on.
I'm still kicking myself that I didn't snap up a silicone pad / cookie sheet for $5.00 when I had the chance.

10-6-2018 10:03:52  #5

Update:  I bought a roll of Con-Tact brand kitchen drawer liner (kittrich.com).  Its a rubberized padded roll that goes in the bottom of a kitchen drawer to reduce the clanking and sliding of the kitchen utinsels.
The 1-1/2 foot x 10 foot roll cost me $5.99 from TJ Maxx.
I only needed an 11 inch x 12 inch piece for a typewriter pad, and a pair of scissors cuts through it quite easily.
Its grippy, and my typewriter doesn't slide around anymore on wood, glass, marble, or Formica. 
I didn't do any decibel reduction studies, so any change in noise is purely subjective at this point, but for five bucks, I have accomplished  my mission to keep the typewriter immobilized on my desk as I type.

10-6-2018 10:11:59  #6

I've been thinking about what would make good material myself -- haven't used a pad but figure I should. I was wondering about yoga mat material -- a sort of thin (3/8") foam material with a ribbed surface. Anyone try this?

I'd love to know where Uwe got that 1 inch thick felt pad material!

11-6-2018 14:00:32  #7

There are two overlapping requirements in this thread, which is whether you need an anti-skid mat or one for sound deadening (or both). The rubberized shelf liner material is great for anti-skid, but does nothing for sound deadening. Some sound deadening materials are not always the best for keeping a typewriter in place. I like the idea of the yoga mat material because it has the potential to do both, and you could always double up the cut pieces to make a thicker pad.

​As for the one inch thick felt, you might have luck at a local building supply centre. If not, it is readily available online: http://www.thefeltstore.com/default.aspx?CN=811121B56AEC

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-6-2020 15:29:43  #8

I'm going to make my own using some jute felt padding and a coat of spray-on Plasti-Dip. This should keep my SCs from scooting as well as keep the noise down. 

Phil Forrest

23-6-2020 19:39:01  #9

I bought one of those replica vintage pads that mytypewriter.com was selling, and that thing is amazing. It's lasted a very long time and has served well for a lot of work. I have written a book over it and a ton of other stuff. 

My typewriters that get used on it are all big prewar standards and if it can help keep those from marring tables & desks, so much the better. Something has to quell the jolting and vibration from my old Remington. 

28-12-2020 13:34:38  #10

Phil_F_NM wrote:

I'm going to make my own using some jute felt padding and a coat of spray-on Plasti-Dip. This should keep my SCs from scooting as well as keep the noise down. 

Were you able to complete this project? I would be curious to know how the spray-on Plasti-Dip application worked out in conjunction with the felt padding. Such a configuration seems like it would represent the best of both worlds.

Board footera