You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-10-2018 06:41:39  #1

Triumph Perfekt best years

Hello everybody. I got my hands on a Triumph Gabriele, but wanted to upgrade to a Perfekt and was wondering what are the best manufactuing years -- if it makes any difference in the quality of the machine as it happens for other brands. Thanks.

22-1-2019 13:05:08  #2

Re: Triumph Perfekt best years

Hello Lapo,
I have a Triumph Norm-6 of 1951 vintage. I wanted a Triumph as I have a Triumph T 90 motorcycle and was fascinated by the connection with the typewriters of the same name and very similar logo. Both enterprises were of course owned by Siegfried Bettmann, a very enterprising gentleman.
The norm-6 is the same as the perfekt but has no tab mechanism. Mine is the boxy case and is the only experience I have of Triumph Typers however I rate it very highly. It types beautifully and has a nice action. So I would recommend this model as being very good. I think the same mechanism was carried to the next styling,more rounded.
I hope this might be helpful and not just blurring the issue. Good look in your search.

08-2-2019 21:30:40  #3

My only experience with Triumph typewriters is a 1938 Norm 6. One of the best typewriters in my collection and highly recommended. I would assume the Perfekt of that year would be of similar quality.

24-6-2020 09:20:32  #4

Here is my 1962 Triumph Perfekt.  Besides my AMC/Alpina; this is the best typewriter to use in my collection. 

Only small "negative" is that these machines did not have a touch-control setting feature.  But once you get used to it, it seems not too important.  With a fresh ribbon, you just learn to type "softer".

25-6-2020 02:57:52  #5

Pete E. wrote:

Only small "negative" is that these machines did not have a touch-control setting feature.  But once you get used to it, it seems not too important.  With a fresh ribbon, you just learn to type "softer".

I have two of them and a Gabriele-E, which is almost the same machine. One Norm is as new, the other Norm and the Gabriele has been used quite a lot. The latter have a noticeble lighter/smoother touch. I have read that Olympia's are getting better by using them a lot, I suppose this also applies to these Triumps.

Lapo wrote:

Hello everybody. I got my hands on a Triumph Gabriele, but wanted to upgrade to a Perfekt and was wondering what are the best manufactuing years -- if it makes any difference in the quality of the machine as it happens for other brands. Thanks.

In answer of the thread topic, I also own a Norm from 1956. This typewriter has a much lighter touch than the 1960 models. As far as build quality goes I also rate it higher. The system for locking the typewriter in it's case is much better. Design differences seem small to me, the 1960 model is somewhat simpler, less details, less parts, no chrome and an aluminium body in stead of metal.

I rate the 1960 models very high, but prefer the 1956 model.
Even if the lighter touch is specific to this machine.

31-7-2020 02:07:27  #6

In my experience the late 50s and early to mid-60s were the best years in terms of quality for any product, including typewriters. Anywhere from 1956 to 64 or so should be a safe bet. Out of the very best machines I know, most of them originate in the 50s and early 60s. After the mid-60s, but especially the 70s and onward, quality for most manufactures dropped off dramatically in my opinion. It went the same for most industries.

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

Board footera