You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-8-2020 10:27:26  #1

Smith-Corona Sterling carriage return always sliding to the left

Everything was working fine on the Smith-Corona Sterling I just got until I push the Power Space key (|||||>), then the carriage slammed to the left, and now it doesn't move when I type. If I push it to the right it immediately slides back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note this exact problem was described here 3 years ago. The only solution offered was to look under the machine, but as far as I can tell the SC Sterling chassis is unmovable.

15-8-2020 11:30:28  #2

Re: Smith-Corona Sterling carriage return always sliding to the left

Hi JP

What is the serial number of your typewriter? This will give us a much better idea of what age of typewriter you have. The escapement is basically the heart of a typewriter and is also the most delicate part, if the escapement has issues, the whole machine reflects those issues.

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

15-8-2020 11:38:28  #3

Re: Smith-Corona Sterling carriage return always sliding to the left

Thanks Sky.The serial number is 3LMC22447.

The machine didn't have an escapement issue, nor any other issues that I could tell. It's only because I pressed the Power Space key that the problem occurred. I thought this fact should help narrow things down.

Board footera