You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-9-2020 07:50:02  #1

Rust v nickel plating

Following from reading Uwe's post on rusty chrome clean-up with aluminium foil.
Does anyone know if it is advisable to use this method on nickel plating? I would think nickel is softer than chrome, and before I venture into cleaning up the nickel plating on my 1930 Remington Portable 3, I would like to make certain it is safe.
thank you in advance,
zoom

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

15-9-2020 12:11:20  #2

Re: Rust v nickel plating

I haven't had to do much with nickel on typewriters but used to work with nickel plated bicycle parts from pre-WWI and the most abrasive agent I would use would be basically a red gum eraser. maybe a very light buff from some 0000 steel wool, but that's only like a whisper, not rubbing. I've used tabasco sauce on some nickel as well. 
Phil Forrest

17-9-2020 22:09:38  #3

Wow, thank you for your reply and advice Phil. I shall take your advice and try the eraser (the idea had never dawned on me).
Cheers and take care.

22-9-2020 18:42:25  #4

I've been using a product called White Diamond metal polish.  Absolutely the best for nickel, chrome, or aluminum.  It will flat out remove oxidation and leave a mirror finish, provided the plating isn't pitted to the base.  It will leave a protective finish if you let it dry before buffing.  I have a Remington 17 with an aluminum carriage return arm that used to go gray in only a month or so.  I used the polish and it gleamed like chrome.  Several years later it still gleams, except of course where I wore it off.  I don't know if it can be had in AU, but  Amazon might help

22-9-2020 20:36:09  #5

Thank you CaronaJoe, for your advice. corrosion is indeed a major issue with antique typewriters, and you highlighted an important point: prevention of corrosion once the original has been removed. I have before me my Remington Portable 3, fully aware that failing to remove the corrosion is in effect advancing the problem. So my resolve is to stop vacillating, and get to work.

Board footera