You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-10-2020 18:47:31  #1

Imperial Good Companion Shift lock release sticking

Hi all.
My wife just bought a (1960 something) Imperial Good Companion to tidy up and use.
It's in pretty good working order, it (obviously - as you'll see from the image) needs a good clean and oil but everything is in fairly good working order.
The one exception is the shift lock. It won't release without jiggling around the shift and shift lock key to release the little latch (shown at #1 on attached image)
Am I right in thinking I'm missing a spring? #2 in the image seems like somewhere a spring should be attached but I'm unsure where the other end would attach as there's nothing apparent on the latch end of things.
Or am I completely on the wrong end of the stick here?
cheers all

DSC_9524_DxO by john Foster, on Flickr

01-10-2020 23:03:21  #2

Re: Imperial Good Companion Shift lock release sticking

Hi John

Looking at my 1936 Imperial Good Companion, there is indeed a spring hooked between the hook #2 on your picture and the pin under the shift key (just visible on the far right edge of the picture. The coil diameter on mine is 3mm or .130". I can't give you wire gauge or relaxed length without taking the spring off, which I'm not about to do with the machine secured to the base of the carry case. As you are in the UK, Tom the typewriter man may be able to help you with this one. Hope this helps a little bit,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

02-10-2020 05:43:15  #3

Re: Imperial Good Companion Shift lock release sticking

Thanks Sky, I'll get on to Tom now

Board footera