You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-10-2020 16:08:30  #1

I bought a typewriter lift desk, now what?

I bought a restored desk with a typewriter lift.  Now I need to figure out how to mount the typewriter.   My Royal standard has threads for bolts on the bottom, so that end of it is easy.  The desk has a sliding pull out piece with no holes.  Would I need to drill this piece, bolt in the Royal, then slide it back in or am I missing something?

06-10-2020 03:24:50  #2

Re: I bought a typewriter lift desk, now what?

I have never had to mount a typewriter in a desk like this, but would say that the sliding piece has to be drilled.  Are there any signs that it has been drilled before for another typewriter ?  That would be a pointer that you are going in the right direction.  I take it that the piece slides into the two metal rails that I can see in the picture ?

06-10-2020 09:31:19  #3

thetypewriterman wrote:

I have never had to mount a typewriter in a desk like this, but would say that the sliding piece has to be drilled.  Are there any signs that it has been drilled before for another typewriter ?  That would be a pointer that you are going in the right direction.  I take it that the piece slides into the two metal rails that I can see in the picture ?

That is correct, the metal pieces hold the slider in position and presumably keeps the board from tipping backward when the typewriter is put away.

There aren't any signs of drilling at all, which I guess gives me a blank slate to do whatever I want but it is always a bit intimidating to drill into old furniture like this.  It seems kind of funny someone would have a lift desk and never install a typewriter on it.

06-10-2020 12:36:05  #4

This is the scenario I'm used to seeing, which is the typewriter being bolted to a wood plate that in turn is slide into the rails. It's difficult to tell from the OP's photo how that arrangement is set up. If there's an unease of drilling into the vintage wood, couldn't an ersatz piece of plywood be used in its place?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-10-2020 00:39:58  #5

Hi PCC

Looking at your picture and Uwe's picture, I would say no need to drill holes in your desk. You may need to enlist the help of a good carpenter to complete your project.

Here's what I would do in your situation: Measure the distance between the vertical part of the rails and measure the distance from front to back of the platform. This will give you the outside dimensions of the removable board on which the typewriter mounts.

Next is to measure the gap between the horizontal part of the rails and the wooden platform, this will give you the thickness of the removable board. If the board looks like it may be too thin, the side edges of the board may need to be rabbited to reduce the thickness allowing the board to slide into the rails.

The removable board can then be marked and drilled to accept the typewriter. The use of countersunk head bolts will allow the mounting holes in the board to be countersunk so the bolt heads sit flush or slightly below flush to the surface of the board thus eliminating the risk of the bolt heads scratching the desk. A layer of felt could be glued to the underside of the removable board adding another layer of protection for the desk.

As I say, this is just my thoughts on the subject. Other members may have different and better ideas, but at least this is something with which to start. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

10-10-2020 10:58:29  #6

Uwe wrote:

This is the scenario I'm used to seeing, which is the typewriter being bolted to a wood plate that in turn is slide into the rails. It's difficult to tell from the OP's photo how that arrangement is set up. If there's an unease of drilling into the vintage wood, couldn't an ersatz piece of plywood be used in its place?

Here are better pictures:

It looks like the main difference is that the pullout board on my desk is in a recessed pocket as it sits flush with the platform whereas yours sits above the platform.  It is good idea to use a piece of plywood at least for initial fitting so I don't mess up the nice board. If it works out I can use the plywood piece as a template.

skywatcher wrote:

Hi PCC

Looking at your picture and Uwe's picture, I would say no need to drill holes in your desk. You may need to enlist the help of a good carpenter to complete your project.

Here's what I would do in your situation: Measure the distance between the vertical part of the rails and measure the distance from front to back of the platform. This will give you the outside dimensions of the removable board on which the typewriter mounts.

Next is to measure the gap between the horizontal part of the rails and the wooden platform, this will give you the thickness of the removable board. If the board looks like it may be too thin, the side edges of the board may need to be rabbited to reduce the thickness allowing the board to slide into the rails.

The removable board can then be marked and drilled to accept the typewriter. The use of countersunk head bolts will allow the mounting holes in the board to be countersunk so the bolt heads sit flush or slightly below flush to the surface of the board thus eliminating the risk of the bolt heads scratching the desk. A layer of felt could be glued to the underside of the removable board adding another layer of protection for the desk.

As I say, this is just my thoughts on the subject. Other members may have different and better ideas, but at least this is something with which to start. All the best,

Sky

Fortunately I have the original slider, though it doesn't show up well in the picture. Good idea on the countersunk bolt heads, I was thinking I would have to recess some hex head bolts which would have been an inelegant mess.

10-10-2020 22:58:13  #7

Hi Again PCC

That is a very elegant piece of furniture, I'd almost venture to say that it has been professionally refinished and a very nice job done too. As you have the original slider, there's your perfect pattern for making a functional slider that you're not afraid to drill. If you want to make a slider that has both form and function, you wouldn't go wrong with a piece of good both sides plywood of the same thickness, stained and varnished to match the rest of the desk  You could kick it up a notch or two by using Baltic Birch furniture grade plywood and glue a strip of veneer along the front edge. Just a thought,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

14-10-2020 14:28:27  #8

Beautiful piece of furniture here, one to be proud of! 
As far as I remember from my youth (when such concoctions were not a curiosity) there should be something else at work here... The plate not only slides into the rails, it should also be (possibly) lowered when the whole table is closed , in order for a tall standard type machine to fit under the closed working top.  Am I wrong?
(probably  I'm just discovering hot water here). Excellent acquisition anyway, one to make all typewriter enthusiasts envious.

14-10-2020 15:47:11  #9

Hi Duna

Yes, you are correct. These units double up as a writing desk as well as a typewriter desk. Pull up on the handle at the back of the desk, this section comes up and over to become the top of the writing desk. At the same time, the typewriter platform moves back an drops down to a 45º angle so the typewriter is neatly stored out of sight. All the best,

Sky

Board footera