You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-1-2021 21:29:18  #1

Ribbon Tins...

Did not see much mention of typewriter ribbon tins.

Started picking some up when I can...try to get the best-conditioned ones if possible.

Bonus is when it still contains a nice original metal spool (and usually a dry ribbon in cellophane wrap).

18-1-2021 16:33:35  #2

Re: Ribbon Tins...

Tins are definitely a collectable, one that I've found crosses over to those who collect decorative containers in general. Every time I've come across a ribbon tin at shops and markets, they've been rather pricey. I don't collect them because of that reason, but naturally I have a few that came with typewriters that I bought.

They're great to look at, but it's also another rabbit hole... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-1-2021 16:47:38  #3

Hi Pete and Uwe

I did once score a box full of 150+ ribbon spools (metal and plastic for many different makes and models) from a tin collector who was just going to chuck the spools as he only wanted the empty tins. Some of the spools had useable ribbons, but most of them were dried out. This did enable me to refit many of my typewriters with period correct metal spools loaded with fresh blue Baco ribbon. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-1-2021 13:36:22  #4

Added a couple of tins to my horde these past few weeks.

I was patient and waited for some good-conditioned ones at a price of under $ 12 each.

12-2-2021 21:24:49  #5

I have been chasing this tin for over 1 year...especially in decent condition...

13-1-2022 20:03:25  #6

I have some left over from my grandparents, inspired me to start making my own!  I sell ribbons alongside machines to customers/clients and thought it would be a nice touch.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

13-1-2022 20:36:56  #7

Lucas, that is such a good idea for your customers.

13-1-2022 20:44:30  #8

Just got in my 2nd. Carter's "Guardian" ribbon tin with the B-52's motif.

15-1-2022 19:04:15  #9

Thanks Pete!  I started two years ago?  Wow time travels fast when you're in a pandemic.  People seem to love them, and they come in handy here and there.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

16-1-2022 12:30:06  #10

Last year I acquired the Allied ribbon tin with the "seagull" theme.

This year I was able to add the companion tin with the "sailboat" theme.

Board footera