You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-6-2019 00:08:14  #1

Portland, ME: Help organize a type-in, or just get together?

Hello, my name is Renee Cote. I’m a creative writer and a typewriter enthusiast. I would like to organize a type-in and would love some help. It’d also be great to get a sort-of “raise your hand if you’re interested,” whether to organize or participate, head count.

Portland, ME has at least three great spots for a type-in. One is LFK, a typewriter-themed bar/lounge/restaurant that already has monthly open mike readings and quarterly SCBWI-NE meetings. Number two is the Press Hotel, a print and journalism-themed hotel. The third option is the Portland Public Library. I haven’t tried to organize anything there, but one can hope.

Besides a type-in, I’d love to meet other typewriter enthusiasts and geek out over our beauties. Mine is a 1960 Olympia SM4 in army green. Her name is Demeter.

-Olympia SM4, spruce green, possibly 1960

24-6-2019 15:25:27  #2

Re: Portland, ME: Help organize a type-in, or just get together?

Good luck with your Type-In, Renee. I'm not sure how many members here are from the Portland area as it's an international forum, but hopefully there are a few. If you're trying to gauge interest it might be a good idea to post notices in all the places you mentioned - and in any other 'artsy' type places in the city.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-6-2019 15:37:09  #3

Hi Uwe, thank you for the ideas and the good luck wishes! There probably aren’t many people here from Portland, but I thought I’d try. I’ll probably also post on other typewriter boards.

31-1-2021 09:42:31  #4

I'm wondering if it might be an idea to expand this into a typing 'pen pal' type of arrangement? This would allow the entire community to be involved if they wished. It seems we've lost he art of communicating via letters and snail mail, which required some thoguht and effort as opposed to our modern texting and emails. I like to fart around on my 1909 Underwood Standard, but sometimes it's a struggle as there's little point in doing so. Having someone to exchange typed correspondence with would give it some purpose. Just a thought. ;-)

31-1-2021 10:55:44  #5

Hi @Underwood09,

I love that idea. I might make a new post about that so the subject line reflects that idea. Maybe we can get multiple typers on board. First, though, we should look through the existing posts and see if there already is one about this.

Thanks for the great idea!

01-2-2021 12:31:00  #6

We do have an existing pen pal thread here: Typewriter Pen Pals

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera