You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-8-2013 22:09:59  #1

1941 Remington Noiseless Model 10

All business. The cover might be missing, but earlier Remington's never had them to begin with. And isn't it a crime anyway to cover up such a wonderful sight?

Can you spot the missing screws? I'm curious about the two big brackets that are screwed onto the back of the machine. Surely this standard didn't originally come with a case? 

A nice little metal bit, it's only purpose in life to hold the paper bail when it's folded toward the typer. That the screw's slots aren't parallel to each other would drive me nuts on a pristine machine... not even worth a second look on this pig.

The one thing that worked: the margin bell.

How many control levers can you see on the left end of its carriage? Did you count six? Most didn't work - a couple still don't.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-7-2014 15:43:55  #2

Re: 1941 Remington Noiseless Model 10

Obviously it took some time for a technition to devise,  maybe it came from the time of experimention.

18-8-2014 17:14:37  #3

That's a real weapon of mass destruction

19-8-2014 11:27:03  #4

It definitely is an ominous sight. Speaking of which, I just picked up a Noiseless Model 6 today, and although it's complete and not a Frankentyper, it's in rough working condition. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-3-2015 21:40:21  #5

Hi Uwe-

I just got the Underwood verion of this and I like it very much. Mine has ringed keys and the little paper bail metal bit is a different style.

How do you photograph your typewriters? These photos are great, and I have seen many great macro shots from you on the database. Could you tell me what you are using for your macro stuff?

Thanks
Dave

Los Angeles, CA

03-3-2015 11:30:45  #6

Hey Dave, I'd love to see photos of your Underwood. I suspect the keys on yours are what where originally installed on this Remington; although I'd rather have a set of nickel-trimmed keys than these white ones, it would lessen the brutality of this cobbled together machine. ;-)

As for photography, I don't use anything special (I don't own a decent DSLR - or have a proper macro lense - unfortunately), so I just do the best I can with the camera I have. That means employing every trick that I know of to get sharp images, as shoot as close as the lense will allow, and then cropping the image later if necessary. Good light is always important, and a tripod if you have the patience to use one, which I often don't. 

03-3-2015 14:06:17  #7

Here are a few that I took quickly. 

Here's the front:

And here are the keys.  They are pretty nice.  Also, it is interesting that it says "Champion" on the space bar. I haven't seen anything online about that, so I wonder if it is unique? Or just a replacement from another model?

The other difference that I have read about online is that the Underwood models put the pressure selector on the side instead of the front:

My paper bail rest is different:

And those controls on the left carriage are a little different, I think. My favorite is the one marked with the arrow. It relases the platen brackets (?) so you can just take the platen right out. I love that.

As you can see in this picture, the inside of the spool rests are filled with debris. But despite that it works perfectly. No sticky keys, smooth carriage. It is a testament to the build quality of these:

Once I get it all cleaned up I think it will be my main machine.  I like the touch of Noiseless machines. Also I'll take some better pictures then for the American gallery.  

Dave

Los Angeles, CA

03-3-2015 23:14:45  #8

Very interesting stuff, and the differences between the Remington and Underwood/Remington even more so. It appears that your Noiseless has taken a lot of abuse over the years too; is the right end of the ribbon cover broken off?

As for the Champion text on the space bar, I think it's fairly common. A number of my machines have it, and I've seen it on many more in photos of various models of that era. I used to think that they were replacement bars - there was a Champion portable and Champion standard model - but then revised my theory that it had more to do with the speed typing championships the company won over the years as opposed to the specific Champion model. After all, Underwood used to describe itself as the "Champion of Typewriters".

03-3-2015 23:37:01  #9

Yes part of the ribbon cover is broken off. Hopefully I'll run across one someday.

Los Angeles, CA

Board footera