You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-5-2020 04:26:45  #1

Vintage Typewriter Paper

Here is my collection of vintage typewriter paper. All is vintage with the exception of the paper with mint green designs (to the right of the Mead pad) and the bottom right which is letterhead from Oblation Papers and Press in Portland, Oregon.
Please post photos of your typewriter paper.
I want to see!!! 

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

28-6-2020 00:13:17  #2

Re: Vintage Typewriter Paper

Hi Amelia

Here's my small collection of mostly vintage typewriter paper. The Campus paper belonged to my first wife who was a bit of a doodler in high school and filled in the letters.

The Funtime doodler pad is only a few years old and is not really typewriter paper, but it makes for fun letters to my cousin's children. I might find a few more pads and packages if I dig deep enough, but this is a start. Come of fellow forum members, respond to Amelia's request and fill this thread with pictures of your perfectly pretty papers.

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-6-2020 00:26:52  #3

Thanks for sharing Sky! 🙂
I really like the typewriter graphic on the Campus notepad.

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

03-6-2021 16:33:11  #4

I just got an opened box of (quite old) Eaton Berkshire 25% cotton paper and it was both memory and revelation. I remember when I was in junior high school, having to buy a pad of typewriter paper for homework essays I needed to type on my mom's Selectric II. Back then I wanted nothing to do with a typewriter and thought buying special paper for it was ridiculous. Now I find that typing on it is simply astounding. It lays flatter, doesn't curl as much, the type seems sharper. It's just much more pleasant to type on and read, than garden variety bright white copy paper. I'm hooked and now I find myself habitually shopping for these papers.
Phil Forrest

04-6-2021 10:19:51  #5

I'm hung on the fact that your mother owned a Selectric, because it was not your average home typewriter. We had (still have) a lowly by comparison Smith-Corona Pride Line Automatic 12. Paper does make a big difference and it's fun to experiment with different medium; I'm partial to the visual effect that carbon sheets create, and that look is a real nostalgic trigger for me.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-6-2021 14:14:02  #6

Uwe wrote:

I'm hung on the fact that your mother owned a Selectric, because it was not your average home typewriter. We had (still have) a lowly by comparison Smith-Corona Pride Line Automatic 12. Paper does make a big difference and it's fun to experiment with different medium; I'm partial to the visual effect that carbon sheets create, and that look is a real nostalgic trigger for me.

If I remember the story correctly, one of my uncles, mom's older brother, was in the Navy during and slightly after the Vietnam war era. He went on to work within the sphere of government contracting, doing electronic work. I believe the Selectric II was purchased by my uncle from what was then called DRMO, which has running sales on gear that was used by the US military. My uncle bought it then sold it to mom for what was probably .2% of what the government paid for it, and we had that machine working until well after I joined the Navy myself in 1997. I bet mom and dad donated it to a thrift store in the early 2000s during one of the great garage cleanouts they like to do every few years. It was avocado green, I remember. 
Phil Forrest

06-6-2021 13:05:08  #7

Shame that it's gone, especially given its backstory...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-12-2022 10:58:12  #8

At our previous home, I custom made shoji-window coverings for some of our windows.

I purchase rolls of washi-paper from Japan for that project and to "re-paper" the coverings every few years when the paper was worn or yellowed with age.  In Japan, re-papering was a Spring-time ritual in many homes in the past.

I have a couple of rolls left over of the washi-paper (which is made from mulberry tree pulp fiber) and thought I would give it a try in my typewriters  So I cut some into 8.5" x 11 paper size.  The paper rolls were only 2" in diameter,  when new, so the paper has developed a permanent curve which makes cutting and using for a typewriter somewhat difficult.

But I was curious to see what it looked like with some typed print.

Board footera