You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-6-2021 18:50:18  #1

Smith-Corona Classic 10 5X Series

Just acquired this.  The unit itself is just identified as "Classic" but the SCM data base listed it as "Classic 10" made in 1964.  It has the 5X body style with all the features of a Classic 12, series 6X, except no half-space or power space.  There is an SCM logo on the erase board and on the back.  White keys and knobs.  This is obviously a transition model and judging from the lack of info on the web, none were in ebay or etsy, I suspect there was a limited production.  Needed complete flush and cleaning and now performs very well.  Even came with its instruction manual.  If anyone has more info on this unit I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

05-6-2021 20:09:58  #2

Re: Smith-Corona Classic 10 5X Series

Pictures?

06-6-2021 06:27:05  #3

I found this YouTube video on a '65 Sterling that is identical in every way in every way except the name and color.  I suspect  that it was just a marketing thing in that they really are the same machine.  I would post a picture of mine if I could figure out how.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1_G0mn99og&ab_channel=Ponz67Ponz67

06-6-2021 06:42:57  #4

Here is a picture of mine.

https://imgur.com/a/85rYUO5

EDIT (Uwe) > Corrected image link 

Last edited by Uwe (06-6-2021 13:10:29)

06-6-2021 08:02:49  #5

That certainly is an interesting one.

06-6-2021 11:29:11  #6

I have a Series 6 Sterling on the way. Will be curious how it differs from my series 5 Sterling, other than better color scheme and more obnoxious use of plastic.

06-6-2021 12:23:47  #7

That is really a Super 5 Silent Super just before the switch to the Galaxie look. 
Phil Forrest

19-6-2021 08:31:41  #8

In watching many videos on YouTube I have found countless examples of identical Sterlings of the 5Ax Series to my Classic 5X series which implies they were just rebadged..  The only difference that I have come up with so far is that the bell on my Classic is rather small and even a rather dainty bell sound compared to the Sterling which has a much bigger bell and therefore much louder. Phil F mentioned my Classic is really a Super Silent...Did The Super Silents have a minimal sounding bell as well?
One other difference noted in my Classic manual is that indicates a centering lever, however my Classic does not have this at all.

19-6-2021 18:09:35  #9

Tis is a photo of the small ringer bell on the Classic.

https://imgur.com/NRBDkkC

19-6-2021 22:24:05  #10

You can tune your bell if you like, there are different ways of doing this. You may find that the hammer isn't striking hard or is striking slowly and quenching the bell's vibration.
Your machine says it's a Classic on the front, but it is definitely a Super 5 series chassis in the transitional body right before the angular Galaxie style came about (they were probably made at the same time as well.) You want to refer to the Silent-Super user manual for that machine. If by a centering lever, the manual means a centering carriage lock, it should be there, in the carriage, on the lower right hand side. Push this in and the spring will pull the carriage over to the center position and lock it for storage in the case. I've never seen a Super 5 that didn't have one and if yours is missing, perhaps it was removed in the last 60 years.
Very nice looking, and probably typing, machine.
Phil Forrest

Board footera