You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-7-2021 08:26:28  #1811

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Very nice !  Congratulations.

20-7-2021 13:39:43  #1812

Just took possession of a Continental 100 Wanderer Werke. I have serial number but do not know how to zero in on model. I have looked at the database, but it doesn't really help. Every keyboard I can see for the model has a 1 on the top-left key, but this one has a $ sign.

Thoughts?

thanx.

23-7-2021 00:08:11  #1813

I'm happy to say my latest acquisition, a 1967 SM9 is a definite keeper. But the case is even worse than the picture I posted. Its badly stained, even after scrubbing with Simple Green and a brush. Anyway those things don't trouble me much, as long as the machine works and it works great.

29-8-2021 17:06:07  #1814

A glossy black Speedline Smith-Corona Sterling is on the way.
Phil Forrest

29-8-2021 17:55:44  #1815

Phil_F_NM wrote:

Phil Forrest

What did you unload to make room for it?

I'm proud to admit that I have no recent acquisitions, and none planned. I successfully halted my mid-Pandemic typewriter splurge. 

I'm no fun.

30-8-2021 08:16:36  #1816

I am holding pretty steady with 30 machines from the 1950's, 1960s and early 1970's.

I am not tempted by the machines from the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's or even earlier than that...so do not have to worry about falling into that rabbit hole.

I did get one black 1947 Royal QDL...and that is my one and only museum piece.

30-8-2021 10:12:31  #1817

overwood wrote:

Phil_F_NM wrote:

Phil Forrest

I'm proud to admit that I have no recent acquisitions, and none planned. I successfully halted my mid-Pandemic typewriter splurge. 
I'm no fun.

We're moving to a different house to hold more typewriters. 
That's not the the reason were moving, but it is a benefit... 
I actually had to "get out in front" of this typewriter arriving by telling the significant other that there is another machine on the way. She puts up with my hobbies of fixing broken cameras and dirty typewriters, and she usually gets her pick of whichever one she wants to use; of course it's me who has to move them all. I think I probably have 1000lbs of photo and typewriter related detritus...
I just realized that with the 2C machine coming, I'm only missing a 4 series and a Galaxie to complete a "collection" of every generation of Smith-Corona portable. I never intended it to be so, I'm just irresistibly  drawn to shiny black paint on old mechanical devices. Cameras, typewriters, cars (no, I don't have a black car, but I want a black W108 Mercedes just because.)

Phil Forrest

31-8-2021 21:23:01  #1818

Pete E. wrote:

I am holding pretty steady with 30 machines from the 1950's, 1960s and early 1970's.

I am not tempted by the machines from the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's or even earlier than that...so do not have to worry about falling into that rabbit hole.

I did get one black 1947 Royal QDL...and that is my one and only museum piece.

I am the same on years. Have no interest even in the glass key QDL, unless someone is giving it away. My favorite (and oldest) machine is still the 51 QDL, but I was a bit misleading when I said I'm not even looking anymore. A brown 50's QDL in Mint Condition, or barring that, almost any 50's QDL in Mint Condition, cheap or free, would be my ideal working typewriter. I picked up one on SGW but it was in disappointing shape and I'm not that motivated to tinker. As I keep my eyes open for one of those occasionally something else catches my eye but so far I've been able to resist them all.

31-8-2021 21:27:55  #1819

Phil_F_NM wrote:

overwood wrote:

Phil_F_NM wrote:

Phil Forrest

I'm no fun.

We're moving to a different house to hold more typewriters. 
That's not the the reason were moving, but it is a benefit... 
I actually had to "get out in front" of this typewriter arriving by telling the significant other that there is another machine on the way. She puts up with my hobbies of fixing broken cameras and dirty typewriters, and she usually gets her pick of whichever one she wants to use; of course it's me who has to move them all. I think I probably have 1000lbs of photo and typewriter related detritus...
I just realized that with the 2C machine coming, I'm only missing a 4 series and a Galaxie to complete a "collection" of every generation of Smith-Corona portable. I never intended it to be so, I'm just irresistibly  drawn to shiny black paint on old mechanical devices. Cameras, typewriters, cars (no, I don't have a black car, but I want a black W108 Mercedes just because.)

Phil Forrest

I have medium format (4 or 5 of them) 4x5 (2 or 3)  and 8 x10/5x7 (1) cameras but do not monkey with their innards. I know when I'm out of my league. My father was a professional photographer for a while so I grew up surrounded by shiny old black metal things with a darkroom in the basement, and I still have one. 

31-8-2021 22:12:51  #1820

The darkroom is definitely on the table for the basement.
Phil Forrest

Board footera