You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-9-2021 10:07:33  #1

Royal QDL lid pop

The ribbon cover on my 54 Quiet De Luxe pops open when I type. I guess I'm not the only person to have the problem

https://typewriterreview.com/2020/01/10/top-10-writerly-typewriters/
The only issue I’ve found with these machines is the button that pops the lid can come pop open if you’re typing too hard. Just slap a little duct tape on it and you’re good to go!

Well I don't want to "slap a little duct tape on it", I want it to work properly. I've tried bending the clip that grabs the edge of the lid but it hasn't helped. The lid has a sharp edge that the clip is supposed to catch on, but the clip itself is smooth and has no grabbing power. Seems poorly designed, so I may have to go with tape but thought I'd see if anyone has solved this issue another way.

25-9-2021 14:15:42  #2

Re: Royal QDL lid pop

I completely agree with your position on this and I have suffered the same problem with more than one QDL. And I have not found a solution, so I am as eager as you to see if someone here has one. Thanks for asking.

26-9-2021 09:37:20  #3

I'm stumped. I've messed with the mechanism and it seems hopeless. I've contemplated cutting off the mating edge of the clip so it has some bite, but I'm not even sure how I would do that (a dremel, I guess) and it would probably only make it worse. Not that it matters, because it doesn't work worth a damn.

I think a magnet would be keen, but haven't figured out how to make it work.

The latch on my 51 is completely different and would work great. Instead of clasping in the front there is one on each side that engages with a spring that appears to have no other purpose. The attachment points for the springs are still there on the 54, and the springs would be easy to source.  Someone with welding skills (which I lack) could attach similar clips to the later model's lid. Gahhhhhh

26-9-2021 11:33:06  #4

After messing with my 1957 Royal QDL on/off over a week and not getting anywhere. I looked at the 2 pivot hinges and saw I could simply remove the little springs around each long hinge pins.

My cover was not popping up when typing or even using the carriage return.  It only popped up when using Tab stops manually placed near the center of the platen.

With the alloy materials of the side cover panels and the steel of the ribbon cover and front panel, it just flexed too much when the Tab stops were used.

26-9-2021 21:07:53  #5

Pete E. wrote:

After messing with my 1957 Royal QDL on/off over a week and not getting anywhere. I looked at the 2 pivot hinges and saw I could simply remove the little springs around each long hinge pins.

But then it won't pop up even when you want it to, or stay open if you're working inside. Its an idea though.

27-9-2021 07:01:57  #6

It does still open when I push the button and lift it up.

And I hold it up with blue painters tape attached to the back and the ribbon cover when I need to do something like clean the type-slugs or change ribbon, etc.  Those occur much less frequently that having it pop open when you are typing with the machine...

Sure it is a work-around...but one that works for my needs and I no longer need to OCD about why the ribbon cover "has a mind of its own".

27-9-2021 21:50:11  #7

Well darn. You'd think Royal would have solved the problem between 54 and 57...

28-9-2021 07:28:01  #8

overwood wrote:

Well, this might be a clue. There are many, many things that do not show up in three years of life that do show up over the subsequent 60 years, like discoloring of plastics and hardening or disintegration of rubber (and like arthritis). Maybe this latch problem involves either weakening of the steel(!) or a gradual distortion or wear of the pieces. Hard to check, though.

28-9-2021 09:40:27  #9

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Duct tape is starting to look better and better.

28-9-2021 20:17:16  #10

M. Höhne wrote:

overwood wrote:

Well, this might be a clue. There are many, many things that do not show up in three years of life that do show up over the subsequent 60 years, like discoloring of plastics and hardening or disintegration of rubber (and like arthritis). Maybe this latch problem involves either weakening of the steel(!) or a gradual distortion or wear of the pieces. Hard to check, though.

The usual problem is a loose nut on the keyboard.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

Board footera