You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-7-2021 07:27:07  #1

Olympia SGE 45...In-Coming

Figured since I dipped my toe into the waters of electric and 1970's more plastic machines with my Facit 1840, I should look for an Olympia electric.  I landed on a SGE 45.

This one did not show up on eBay with my typical searches of "Olympia typewriter", etc. Sort of stumbled upon it with less used search-parameters.

No one else seemed to have hit on it. I was the only bidder at the opening bid of $ 39.

Surprise is that it is Cursive-script. And it is a machine that was still made in West Germany.

All-in with shipping and sales tax...it set me back $ 60. Should have it home next week.

26-7-2021 15:15:34  #2

Re: Olympia SGE 45...In-Coming

Machine arrived professionally packaged and there was absolutely no damage.

Carriage was even secured with nylon tie-wraps on both ends and void above the type-slugs was filled with bubble wrap.

Seller had a bit of a "typo" in their eBay description.  Rather than being a SGE-45 is really is an SGE-35.

From its serial number, it was made in Western Germany in 1974.  All body panels are still metal, not plastic.

More photos in a day or two after I clean it up and do a service.  All functions work...just a few key-levers a bit slow returning in the segment.

Motor is very quiet and carriage movement is very smooth.  The 2 small toothed drive belts look brand new.  Not dry or cracked anywhere.  Will plan to use a bit of belt-dressing on them.

23-8-2021 10:50:29  #3

Nice find, Pete!  Congratulations.

27-10-2021 21:36:16  #4

Excellent! Congratulations! This is exactly what I'm looking for

02-11-2021 14:11:16  #5

Paul, if you are near KY State in the USA, there is one on eBay that looks pretty nice for only $ 40 or Make Offer.but shipping within the States is another $ 85 or so. 
( I am not affiliated with it. )eBay item number : 334175861665

05-11-2021 08:17:04  #6

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm in Brazil. I have eyes on one being sold locally, but the seller is asking way too much. I'll wait a bit more, but may eventually bite the bullet anyways. LOL. 
And what's it like typing on your new machine?

24-1-2022 14:40:33  #7

About a month ago, my power return for the carriage stopped working and I discovered that some metal levers on the left side of the carriage with connect the power return band to the platen ratchet mechanism came apart.  As I was removing the end caps for a looksee, metal chrome and black lever pieces started to fall out.

Luckily, I nabbed a totally trashed donor-machine which by a miracle had a perfectly fine upper-carriage and its "pitch" even matched that of my cursive-script machine.

Today was the day I got to work, and after using Ted Munk's repair-bible for the electric Olympias and about 4-5 tries at getting the "seating" adjustments right...my new donor carriage is working perfectly.

I am so happy I was able to push myself to accomplish this repair.

I now will "harvest" usable parts from the donor machine to hoard away for my primary machine.  Lots of plastic parts where used in these machines...so those will be saved for future repairs.  Even got a working main spring.  Motor was shot, unfortunately.  My electric meter tells me the windings are shorted to ground.

All in all...it was a good day to place this Olympia SGE 35 back into its use-rotation on my office desk.

24-1-2022 18:12:00  #8

Pete, congratulations on getting it going again. You have definitely given me something to keep in the back of my mind. Today I brought home an Olympia Report de Luxe. Since it looks similar to the SGE I wonder if the inner workings are somewhat the same? The return does seem to have a lot of power behind it. I noticed some plastic gears when I pooped the cover. Still when one thinks how long they have been working I can't imagine too many modern business machines still being productive.

George

24-1-2022 18:46:15  #9

Hi George,

I think they are very different machines.  The SGE-35 is made in West Germany and it a tall machine like the SM9.

The Olympia Reports, SEP, and similar are not very tall machines and made in Japan.

I have the SEP which is an electric type-bar machine with all manual controls for the carriage and even has a CR lever.  I think this is the best of both worlds...manual with an electric assist.

I really like the SGE 35 and would certainly not pass on a 40/50 series if one presented itself to me.

24-1-2022 19:07:35  #10

Hi Pete,

There is nothing this machine indicating where it was made. I'm not detecting that it ever had a 'Made in" tag which seems odd. The only thing on the back side pf the carriage is some lettering that says Olympia International. Does the 'International" indicate it was made outside of Germany? This Report de Luxe is the same height as my SM9 and it is as heavy if not heavier. For some reason they made the ribbon cover out of plastic.The SN is 46-0219306 but I'm not finding any references for this models yet.

George

Board footera