You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-11-2021 11:15:51  #1

Facit 1630 - Made In Korea...

Does anyone know a bit of the history of a portable Facit 1630 machine, made in Korea (probably in the mid to late 1970's) ?

First thought it might be a Brother...but not sure about that. 

Did Facit just sell off the name when they were closing-up their world-wide operations ?

Here are a couple of photos I found on old Etsy sales offering :

23-11-2021 12:31:35  #2

Re: Facit 1630 - Made In Korea...

Sure has some Brother-ish signs about it but I'm no expert

23-11-2021 18:19:39  #3

I am pretty sure that we are looking at a re-branded Silver-Reed, from the period when the Japanese tooling was sold to Korea.  Slightly lower quality than the Japanese made-machines with a tendency for the keytops to break, but with a softer platen.

23-11-2021 19:42:34  #4

Hi Tom,

I think you nailed it. 

Here is a similar Silver Reed and even the cases look alike.

Any info. on how the "Facit" name made its way to Korea ?  Was it just in the public domain by then. 

I do know some Japanese-made "Facit" electric typewriters were produced for a while.  But nothing to do with Sweden, if I understand correctly.

24-11-2021 03:07:06  #5

The picture is of the previous generation Silver-Reed with the metal outer casing, probably one of the last made in Japan. As to how a Korean plastic cased S-R ended up being branded as a Facit is anyone's guess !

25-11-2021 13:26:17  #6

Wouldn't it have been a case of what is all-too-common now, even common then, of a manufacturer turning to private label producers? Many typewriter manufacturers - particularly when budget Japanese machines flooded the market and the profitability of domestically produced models waned - switched to putting their names on the machines produced by other companies. It seems that Facit also followed that practice.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-2-2022 12:48:21  #7

Here is antother "Facit" showing its Silver Reed roots.

Being sold out of S. America with a spanish keyboard.  Ad says it is Made In Japan.

Board footera