You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-6-2022 16:35:02  #11

Re: What else do you collect, or have you collected in the past?

Let's see, books (especially on typography and printing history), cameras (having been using them and accumulating since the 80s), fountain pens (and inks), typewriters, ... and started down the slippery slope of vintage cars. 

Cameras, books, typewriters, and cars all have the same pattern as Uwe described above. They were reasonable to inexpensive not that long ago, and now they're off the chart. We bought a '76 BMW 5 years ago, but wouldn't have bought the same car at today's prices...

14-6-2022 22:04:35  #12

I was into photography when I was in high school and college. I didn't have a lot of money into it, thankfully, when I went into the Air Force and found out they frowned upon people taking a lot of pictures on Air Force bases. So I kind of fell out of the hobby. I've still got a film SLR and a Nikon autofocus 35mm, but I haven't used them in 20 years. And then there's my former ham radio hobby. Did you know that you almost, literally, can't give away old ham radio gear? You have to truck it around to swap meets and pay for a table and then beg people to take it away. Ham radio is a hobby of old people now and they (we) are dying out. So there are literally free ham radio station set-ups that are available to any young guy for the asking.  I'm pretty happy with my small typewriter collection, though. These machines don't break nearly as often as the ham radio gear did and I'm typing in my (worthless) journal every day. 

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

15-6-2022 16:04:37  #13

There's definitely a pattern to these posts: collectors will collect, and rarely - if ever - limit themselves to one particular genre. I've always maintained that there's a deep-rooted psychological reason for this that supersedes any interest in the actual items. And I can only feel sorry for those who live with us and have to tolerate our collections and the serious space they can consume.

Ham radio. All of my friends were into ham radios when I was a teenager. We took the courses, wrote the exams, and tapped out Morse in our sleep. I can understand its decline; today's youth would never work so hard and have to learn so much just to communicate with someone. Instant messaging and social media has put an end to that, which is a shame. It's possible I'm just too sentimental, but I believe the process is sometimes just as important as the result. 

It's awfully nice that several of you have offered to help out with my camera hunt. I'm only searching for a lowly Olympus OM-1 body. As I mentioned, I bought one new in 1977 as a kid and as I age there's an increasing desire to revisit those cherished items of my youth. I've accumulated quite a few 35 and 120 cameras in my search and have enjoyed returning to film. I've found an OM-2 and an OM-10 for reasonable prices, but so far that OM-1 that isn't being flipped for big bucks continues to evade me.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-6-2022 11:00:28  #14

This just in from the "you can't make this stuff up" department: I finally found an OM-1.

I can only surmise that it was due to all of the positive energy here that some good luck came my way. Last night, only a few hours after my previous post, I checked my local Kijiji listings and voila, I found a reasonably priced OM-1 for sale. Incredible! I was in my car and driving to the seller within minutes, and my search is now over. Well, sort of; I will continue to keep my eyes open for a 'spare' model - you know, just in case... 

Thanks again to everyone for the extremely generous offers to help me out!

A broken hotshoe (common issue) seems to be the only thing wrong with this example. A little cleaning and some fresh film will be on the agenda for this weekend.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-6-2022 11:38:16  #15

Congratulations Uwe!! May it treat you well.

16-2-2023 15:53:41  #16

Uwe wrote:

I will continue to keep my eyes open for a 'spare' model - you know, just in case... 

Uwe,

I just now ran across this thread.  On the off chance that you're still in the market for an OM-1, I still have mine.  Like several others, I once had a full studio/darkroom setup and camera collection.  Over the years, most of it has disappeared, but this is one of the things that still remains...

16-2-2023 17:26:30  #17

Thanks, Jim, but I did manage to find a spare. That's a lie. I actually ended up with three OM-1s, an OM-2, and an OM-10.  I've discovered that vintage cameras models, much like typewriters, do turn up if you're patient. And like that elusive model you're after, once you have one they're suddenly available everywhere.

I fully encourage you to keep your OM-1 and not make the mistake I did, which was to foolishly sell it because I thought film was dead. In fact, you should treat yourself to an analog day: buy a roll a film and take some pictures of your typewriters. 

16-2-2023 20:18:12  #18

I may just do that, Uwe.  In fact, I think I may have a developing tank or two left - sadly, no enlarger, though.  Do they still sell Tri-X pan?  Or something similar?

Oh dear, I'm afraid what will happen when I open my storage crates marked "photo gear".  I know there's some really good glass in there, and some other stuff that's probably pretty rare by now.  A couple of folding press cameras from the '40s, a Pentax 645 or two, some Mamiya TLRs, a Hasselblad, studio flashes, some rangefinders...  

17-2-2023 11:56:46  #19

OregonJim wrote:

Do they still sell Tri-X pan? 

oh yeah! I've been getting into ORWO cinema stocks, but naturally I had to get a few rolls of Tri-X too.

OregonJim wrote:

...A couple of folding press cameras from the '40s, a Pentax 645 or two, some Mamiya TLRs, a Hasselblad, ...

WHAT?!?  Like an idiot I passed up on a Graflex (I think it was a Speed Graphic) a little while ago. Admittedly, it was partially because of a lack of experience with the camera type, and although I knew the price was great, it was still pricey for me. The sensational 645 on the other hand is a more practical street shooter, but they're super-pricey right now. And Hasselblad? Yeah, that's WAY out of my snack budget.

17-2-2023 13:00:55  #20

Ooh, glad to see Tri-X is still alive.  I used to develop lots of Ektachrome as well.

This weekend I'll be going down to the shop and rummaging through my photo gear.  I'm sure there are many items that I've forgotten about - it will be a good opportunity to reorganize, refresh, and maybe put a few things on eBay - if I don't get distracted by the other collections that are sitting nearby.

Board footera