You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-6-2022 16:10:52  #1

Good model to strip down and learn repairs

What is a good model of typewriter to learn how to do repairs? I know some models are just designed to be complicated and others are built with easy access and simplicity in mind.  I want to buy one and take it apart down to the bare bones and learn how to rebuild it from scratch.  To me, this is the only way to learn. But I want a model that is easy to get along with...not one that will cause me to age in the process of rebuilding...

21-6-2022 05:26:57  #2

Re: Good model to strip down and learn repairs

I would say that the Adler Gabriele would be a good choice.  Pretty easy to take apart and put back together again.

21-6-2022 13:17:45  #3

I checked on eBay and all the Adler Gabrielle typewriters are from the UK or Australia...must be popular in those parts. I will keep looking for a North American AG. 

21-6-2022 14:49:33  #4

The Adler Gabriele I think thetypewriterman is referring to, was also sold under the name J2 and J4 in the US.

21-6-2022 17:49:02  #5

I've been learning on Royal Quiet De Luxes, which can be acquired inexpensively and easily in the US in several vintages. Plus, it's covered in Ted Munk's the Typewriter Repair manual as well, and there are lots of videos on YouTube for this model. And, since they're so plentiful, it's easier to not feel guilty if I break something (haven't yet (finger's crossed)). 

Another option suggested to me is to find a beat-up, rusty old desktop typewriter locally. They are much less in demand and can often be had for $10-20. And, being beat-up and rusty, they're of no use except as parts or training. I just picked up a KMM for free with a broken chassis. It'll never run again, but it will be my teacher. 

22-6-2022 18:25:15  #6

Rusty,

If you are here in the USA, keep an eye out for cheap typewriters on the Shop Goodwill site.

Many machines can be had for under $ 10 plus S&H.

Search for "typewriter" on their web site :

https://shopgoodwill.com/home

29-6-2022 04:10:20  #7

Pete E. wrote:

Rusty,

If you are here in the USA, keep an eye out for cheap typewriters on the Shop Goodwill site.

Many machines can be had for under $ 10 plus S&H.

Search for "typewriter" on their web site :

https://shopgoodwill.com/home

I am in Canada. I occasionally find typewriters in antique stores. Or online locally. I take the approach if I find one while out antiquing that's fine. If not, that's fine ss well. My problem is I have to limit myself. I only buy those I really like and know I will use.

29-6-2022 09:16:01  #8

Smith-Corona Super 5 series. This would be the Sterling, Silent, Super, Silent-Super. You could also find a Tower typewriter of the same vintage as they are actually Smith-Coronas. 
After those models, the post-WWII Royal QDL is a good machine to learn on.
Phil Forrest

30-6-2022 17:54:27  #9

Phil_F_NM wrote:

Smith-Corona Super 5 series. This would be the Sterling, Silent, Super, Silent-Super. You could also find a Tower typewriter of the same vintage as they are actually Smith-Coronas. 
After those models, the post-WWII Royal QDL is a good machine to learn on.
Phil Forrest

Funny you should mention the Smith  Corona Sterling. Last weekend I picked up a 1966 Sterling. In fine condition.

03-7-2022 15:19:40  #10

Rusty,

I seem to add typewriters for 2 reasons :

1.  Something about the look/design/features and reviews 'speak to me' and after some study I decide to find one and add to my collection.  Every machine in my collection is in working order and gets used 1-2 days during my use-rotation which runs about 1-2 months for each cycle.

2.  I pick up a machine to get it in my hands, do a service and repair... only to learn all I can about that make/model...and once they are sorted-out and clean and sparkling...I gift them to young folks in our neighborhood and/or my family & friends circle.  Sometimes I will even do a custom paint, if the prospective new owner would like that.

Board footera