You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-9-2022 14:35:46  #1

IBM Model D - In Coming...

Was the sole bidder on Shop Goodwill and won this for $ 20 USD an$ 30 for shipping/handling, & tax.

I plan to work with the shop and assist them with packing suggestions.  This one weighs about 48 lbs.  I had another location ship my 53 lbs. Olympia SGE-50 (variant) without a mishap.  And this one is only travelling a few States over to my home.

As far as I can tell from the TWDB and other on-line articles, the Model D (standard) which this one is and the Model D (executive) with proportional spacing were only made in Germany between 1967 and 1971 and then again in Mexico from 1974 to 1977.

Do not know the serial number, yet, but I am hoping its a German-made machine.  The "D" machines apparently were not made in The Netherlands or in the UK as some of the other models were in these time frames.

Seller reports it all works with a need for new ribbon (carbon 1-time, I think) and a cleaning as some type-keys are slow to return.  I will probably hunt down a pair of toothed belts for this one, while I am at it.

It is also coming with an original user manual which was not shown in the SGW ad photos...

Couple of photos, for now :

21-9-2022 14:40:18  #2

Re: IBM Model D - In Coming...

Question :  Does anyone know if I can spin either nylon fabric or silk fabric ribbon (5/16" wide I think) on the supply side ribbon spool ?

Realizing I would have to re-spool the fabric ribbon once it travels one time, through, by hand from the take-up spool back onto the supply-side spool.

21-9-2022 14:44:55  #3

Duane Jensen at Phoenix Typewriters, Inc. has this very helpful YouTube video showing how to install a new carbon-film ribbon onto the Model D machines :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdQtydhOpw

21-9-2022 20:03:42  #4

Pete that looks like a great find! Duane’s video as usual is also very informative. I’m sure you could give it a try with a fabric ribbon but the rubber drive mechanism may not be happy with ink versus the dry mylar carbon ribbon. Looking on Lanie’s website there are two Model D’s listed with the earlier model using a fabric ribbon. Now that I’ve seen this I’ll add it to something to be on the look for myself. I like the idea of not requiring a cartridge so I’m interested to hear how it turns out for you.

George

21-9-2022 20:16:53  #5

That’s one nice looking electric typewriter! Looking forward to seeing how well you like it. 

"When I look at my life and it's secret colors, I feel like bursting into tears" Albert Camus
I type standing up.

21-9-2022 20:43:51  #6

Nicely found. Looks straight off the set of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Let us know how it goes.

22-9-2022 03:51:39  #7

Just for interest, I am currently working on a 1947 IBM Executive - the grandfather of the Model D - for a film company.  I cannot believe how different it is compared to the Models A, B, C and D which all (mechanically at least) have a family resemblance.  The escapement is totally different, a system with three escapement wheels, and no motor drive belts - a worm-wheel gearbox instead !

22-9-2022 06:58:04  #8

Hi Tom,

Might the machine in your shop be one of these ?  This collector on the TWDB posted up lots of internal photos of his machine.

Fascinating !

https://typewriterdatabase.com/1950-ibm-model-04-executive.15625.typewriter

22-9-2022 07:25:22  #9

The Model D seems to share this fiber ribbon system (with a magnetic holding ribbon spool) with the earlier Model C machines.

And with the multi ribbon-position switch on the Model C and D, I can even use a black/red ribbon on the Model D.

Here is a Phoenix Typewriters video by Duane Jenses on YouTube showing a ribbon change on the Model C :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mNrt8BEkE

22-9-2022 07:30:30  #10

I did zoom-in on one of the seller's photos, and my machine is definitely set-up to use fiber ribbon.  Hurray !!!  Black/Red silk...here I come.

Board footera