You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-9-2022 12:21:49  #41

Re: Electro-Mechanical Calculators

Bummer indeed. Seems like sellers should be required to stick to the results of the auction. 

- Be kind 

22-9-2022 17:14:21  #42

I think some eBay sellers also sell in retail shops and/or local flea markets, Facebook Marketplace, etc...and may just not realize that their ads needs to be pulled down.

I will just keep an eye out for other interesting adding machine cases that can care for my Hermes adder.

In the mean time, my 2nd. Olivetti is due and will keep me busy for a bit.  And I still have my Olympia SM7 (baby blue) that is waiting its turn on my work bench.

23-9-2022 07:47:59  #43

Great stuff, though I prefer fully mechanical rather than motor driven machines myself — there is less to go wrong with them, and they are certain to outlive the electrical devices.

A small point relating to servicing these pinwheel calculating machines:

As with typewriter segments, oil introduced into the pinwheels is a distinctly bad idea. Pivots, sliders, and such were, of course, meant to be greased, but the pinwheels which are the real business end of the devices are meant to be kept dry. What this means is effectively that the machines should be lubricated sparingly. Short of complete disassembly, there is no way to do this comprehensively, so servicing such machines for most of us will be a compromise with what is actually possible to do within our lights.

This site has some excellent resources should the mechanically-inclined wish to delve deeper: https://www.jaapsch.net/mechcalc/index.htm . Be warned that the operations are said sometimes to take a couple of weeks rather than hours!

23-9-2022 12:17:35  #44

This one too (didn’t remember it this morning): http://www.johnwolff.id.au/calculators/Tech/TechIndex.htm .

24-9-2022 09:05:03  #45

Beachycove,

Great referral sites...thanks !

13-10-2022 12:29:00  #46

Well...I've made very good progress with the Olivetti Electro-Summa 22 electro-mechanical adding machine.

I think it was stored in some high humidity conditions in the mid-west for some time.  Lots of PB Blaster and denatured alcohol baths got most rust out and everything is now working...except for the visual digit indicator sliding-device.

Still have to get to the issue with it...presently it does not move as you key-entry digits/values.

I am hoping I can solve this last issue with some more time and study of its mechanisms.

The plastic cowlings cleaned up and polished up nicely.

15-10-2022 08:34:34  #47

Well...lucky me...another Tower electro-mechanical machine was in-the-cards for me.

This one at our local St. Vincente De Paul Society thrift shop.  With sales tax, it ran a whopping $ 12.49 total.

After a good cleaning and polishing up, case looks brand new.  Zipper condition is perfect.

And the machine just needed a deep clean, bit of grease here and there, and a new 5/16" wide black ribbon I got from Ribbons Unlimited.  This one only print out in one colour.

For a light weight machine, it still has all metal parts where it matters most.

Removable top cowling had a 4" long crack, which I stabilized from the underside with epoxy-glue and a small strip of plastic window screen fabric...embedded in the epoxy.

15-10-2022 09:23:51  #48

cool. I think I have that same machine under the Underwood brand, but I may be mistaken as I thought Tower (sears) was associated with Smith Corona. Appears to be same case as I have. Mine is not working correctly. I have not degreased or lubed anything. I did install new thin ribbon from ribbons unlimited but it prints unevenly on the upper part of the imprint. Sigh, I think I'm going to put mine away for another day. 

- Be kind 

15-10-2022 10:02:25  #49

Hi Mike,

I think Sears, Roebuck & Co. used both Smith-Corona but also Underwood for their versions of the Twoer-branded typewriters.

I am almost certain my Tower adder and your Underwood adder are the same machine under the cowlings.

Here is an Underwood Tower manual typewriter, running on eBay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313609942212?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A18GOshVsuQTaULhfUvc7nyQ9&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=313609942212&targetid=4580702891777577&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418640321&mkgroupid=1233652283797640&rlsatarget=pla-4580702891777577&abcId=9300602&merchantid=51291&msclkid=e5e437188ee814e25a9c545245dcf2af

Board footera