You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-12-2022 09:49:06  #1

Olympia Report Electric...In-Coming

This very nice 1974 Olympia Report Electric (made in Germany) arrived without any shipping mishaps.  It is a Model SKE-A61.

Seller was very welcoming to my suggestions for packing.

Machine is in full working order and it and the case just need a good cleaning and service.  A new ribbon and a new belt will get installed, as well.

This Report has a carriage lock mechanism which is integral to the power on/off switch linkage.  It was not fully dis-engaging...but a little bending of metal of the carriage-lock hardware took care of that issue.  Paper support needs a bit of attention as it does not come up from its stow position.

Without its case weight, the machine weighs in at 22.3 lbs.  This one is fast and responsive and lets me type as fast as I can.  Motor and belts are very quiet.  Also, it is more solid-feeling than my Japan-made Olympia SEP electric w/ manual CR lever.

More "after" photos when the weather warms up, some, and i can get it in my garage for a spa-day.

02-12-2022 11:48:10  #2

Re: Olympia Report Electric...In-Coming

And a movie clip with the machine (in the other colour scheme).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzXvxb-g0vM

02-12-2022 18:59:55  #3

I braved the garage with the door open, today, and cleaned up the case and the machine.  It warmed up to 32* F. today, outside.  Inside of the garage stayed a nice 44* F. during my work.

Case needed its plastic injection molded "insert" glued back in place at the bottom of the case and the 2 closed-foam blocks  needed to be glued back in place on the inside of the lid to keep the ribbon cover in place.

Machine just needed a good cleaning and light oiling.  The "Copeland" brand belts looked good, no cracks, and still flexible.  I took measurements, anyways, so I can hunt down a spare set.

Paper support just needed its power-spring reattached as it came loose on one end.

New silk ribbon is on order and the machine still has its metal spools.

Will give it a week or two before I decide to add come colour to the ribbon cover, or not...

03-12-2022 00:17:32  #4

Beautiful machine. I sometimes think about going electric. I haven't crossed that domain yet.

Dave9500
Typist
"Typewriters don't judge you, they just take your words and translate it to writing"

03-12-2022 08:25:40  #5

Hi Dave,

I like electrics on days when my hands are shot from gardening and other chores and projects around the house since I retired.

I also like to use an electric to crank out a "final" version of a letter or pages I am typing up. 

Electrics, for me, can be a real "production" machines.  But I always use a manual for very thoughtful first/rough draft work.

I even have a nice cursive-script Olympia SGE-35...which is probably my favourite electric (out of 8 in my collection) to use.

03-12-2022 23:37:57  #6

Pete,

The cursive script is really cool. I think if I ever did see a Olympia Report in good condition, I would have to pick it up - just because I love Olympias. We will see if one ever crosses my path in life.

Dave9500
Typist
"Typewriters don't judge you, they just take your words and translate it to writing"

24-10-2023 13:04:06  #7

I just got an original copy of the User Manual for the Olympia SKE - Rport Electric (Made In Germany).  Machine in the Opening Post.

I have scanned all the pages and will send them to Richard Polt to have him add it to his "Manual" web site.

I will let folks, here, now when Richard gets the manual up on his web site...so you can down-load a pdf-copy for free.

25-10-2023 11:14:54  #8

New colour added to the ribbon cover.  (Krylon satin "Nutmeg")

25-10-2023 12:34:53  #9

Wow, that looks so much better. Nice work!

Thanks, too, for contributing scans of the manual. It's great to expand our collective knowledge. Did you buy the manual on ebay or some such?

25-10-2023 13:10:42  #10

Hi Rob,

It took me a while to decided to add paint and which olour.  I liked the "nutmeg" so much on my Yugo-made Traveller, I knew it was the right choice for this machine.

Yes...the SKE manual was an eBay find.  I was the only bidder on it for $ 5.

I like to add original manuals to my machines where I can...

Board footera