You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-7-2023 22:30:05  #1

Underwood Model 6 11--Cleaning and Repair

Hi folks, I have just picked up an Underwood model 6 11 (?) and I am in need a some assistance on a few things.

Here she be in all her glory:

I would like to clean it up and hopefully get it functional again. I think there is good potential with it, but I'm way out of my wheelhouse with this project. Also, I am not typewriter-literate, so please bear with me on terminology!

Some of the issues I'm up against are:

--Broken carriage return line (looks like a piece of string vs. a band).
--Cleaning it without damaging the decals or the legends on the keys.

So, questions...

--Is there a preferred solution for cleaning the dirt and old waxy buildup on the mechanisms?
--Is there an easy way to remove the carriage and/or platen to permit better access to the bits and pieces for cleaning?
--Is there a recommended replacement for the carriage return string?

I appreciate any insight or links to existing threads that address my questions.

Thanks for looking!

--L.J.
Hunter & Pecker

09-7-2023 21:50:54  #2

Re: Underwood Model 6 11--Cleaning and Repair

Made a little headway today. I blew out the whole works with my air compressor and rid the poor thing of decades of dust and dirt.

After that I spot-sprayed some solvent-based penetrating oil here-and-there to free up some sticky/seized parts and flush out a little grime. Also, I removed the remaining broken draw string and cleaned up the cylinder.

I think I figured out how to remove the carriage. I removed the front scale and afterwards it seemed to allow the carriage to slide out to the right. I stopped before taking it completely out because, well, frankly I got a little nervous thinking I was getting ahead of myself. I put it back together after cleaning the groove where the carriage trucks glide.

The marginal stops now move and the bell works again. Kinda neat to hear the little ‘ding’ when the carriage nears the end of the line. Of course without a return line connected I’m doing all this moving the carriage manually.

I’m hoping to get it separated into a couple pieces to make further cleaning a little easier. I still need to come up with a good replacement for the draw string.

--L.J.
Hunter & Pecker

10-7-2023 03:38:22  #3

Assuming that you still have the original metal ends for the drawband, you can use a flat bootlace as a subsitute and sew it onto the old metal ends.

10-7-2023 09:38:39  #4

Unfortunately, the draw band ends are long gone. There was a (broken) piece of string tied in place and it seemed small for OEM, but not knowing what the original looked like I didn't really know what to think. Here's the remnants of it:

I still need to do a little research on the proper band length and see what it would have looked like.

Thanks for the advise, though!

--L.J.
Hunter & Pecker

10-7-2023 20:23:43  #5

Monofilament fishing line works well to replace a drawstring. I use 3 lb test because it's what I have, and it ties knots more easily than the heavier lines. It seems to have plenty of strength for this application. Also get yourself some gun oil for lubrication. It is silicone based and doesn't leave gum after it evaporates unlike the petroleum based oils. For general cleaning I would start gentle using a few drops of hand dishwashing detergent in a bowl of warm water and a toothbrush. Keep a clean rag handy to wipe things dry.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

Board footera