You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-7-2023 11:56:51  #1

Help with my Hermes 3000 key de jammer

I have a problem with my Hermes 3000. When you depress the margin realise type bars that get jammed. Mine isn’t working. Sometimes it will work but most of time I’ll press the margin realise button and nothing happens. So I press the button rapidly and the type bars will move a little at a time. What is causing the problem and how can I fix it? What can I adjust? I do own Ted Munk’s book on repairing the Hermes 3000 from the typewriter database, so if there is a page in there that mentions this, please also let me know.

If you can dream it do it! Is something Walt Disney did not say!

18-7-2023 20:27:59  #2

Re: Help with my Hermes 3000 key de jammer

I have wondered about pressing a key to unjam the type bars. It has never worked on any of my typewriters and I have to wonder in what situation does it work? I've always had to just pull them back by hand

George

19-7-2023 07:09:42  #3

Funny. That unjam key has always worked on every typewriter I have used it on. Takes more force than expected, but it worked.

I always use it deliberately and it never became a habit, I think because it is such a random feature across makes and models and years and doesn't have a standard marking so it requires thought to remember to use it. If you're always using the same tw, then it's easy. In using so many different tws, I have the habit of reaching up to clear a jam on everything so I get the job done way quicker than determining whether and where the unjam keys is.

It is a nice feature for manicured typists who type all day long and have to keep their fingers and clothes clean. And, again, they're using a single make and model.

19-7-2023 10:30:58  #4

Like Michael has said...my Hermes 3000 de-tangle works and also on a few other machines I have.

But since I am typing on 56 machines in a 1-2 month rotation cycle, I just use my fingers as that is easier than trying to remember whether the machine on my desk has that feature or not.

IIRC...there are a few machines (maybe standards) that have a dedicated de-tangle key-top which is not combined with a M-R function.

19-7-2023 10:51:17  #5

My Hermes 3000 has the same problem.  I never knew it had that function before now after reading this.  Now my perfect Hermes 3000 is no longer perfect.  Damn!

19-7-2023 16:14:57  #6

Pete E. wrote:

.... snip ....IIRC...there are a few machines (maybe standards) that have a dedicated de-tangle key-top which is not combined with a M-R function.

Here's one, a 1960s Smith-Corona Classic 10, definitely a portable, with an unjam key just above the M-R key, and it does nothing but de-tangle the typebars:

Board footera