You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-9-2024 05:56:00  #1

Alternative to copier paper for typewriters

What is the best alternative to use for typing that is not the common paper used in printers and copiers?

30-9-2024 22:31:36  #2

Re: Alternative to copier paper for typewriters

Hi Ruz

This is always a good question and often starts conversations. Most stationery stores cater to offices, so copy paper of 80g/m² or heavier are pretty much your choices in those places. Some specialty stationers cater to artistic writers, so carry different fancy and expensive papers which are not very good for typewriters. I don't know which brands of paper products are available in Australia and Google doesn't seem to be much help.

The standard paper size where you are seems to be A4 or A5, so I don't know if 8" x 10" (20.3 x 25.4 cm) writing tablets are available in the stationery section of your local chemist (drug store) or the like. If you can find Hilroy product # 35700 writing tablets, they are a light weight paper 60g/m² (16 pound) making a nice change from the ordinary.

If you have thrift stores or charity shops near you, it's sometimes worth taking a look in those as every now and then. someone may bring in a packet of old airmail paper that they found while clearing out a parent's house or similar. Other members will likely give you their thoughts and ideas, we all have different views of what typewriter paper should be, so I look forward to hearing other members thoughts on this subject.

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

01-10-2024 00:34:50  #3

Hello Ruz, 

Finding interesting paper to write and type on is an aspect of the hobby I really like. Looking on my papers shelf I have at least 30+ different varieties with various manufacturers labels on them. The fountain pen community has a paper characteristic they call “fountain pen friendly.”

A number of the Japanese mills make some interesting papers. Some of the mills here in the USA like to call the nicer papers “fine.” I like to use paper that is at least 25 percent cotton. I have also found if the paper is too heavy or thick it doesn’t always feed well in my typewriters. In all my older machines I use some kind of a backing sheet for typing. This is particularly necessary for thin, onionskin papers. I have also used handmade paper to type on. I think if it feeds well it’s worth trying to type on it. I also use an IBM Wheelwriter 10 that uses a correctable typewriter ribbon. The correction involves a separate lift-off ribbon. On most smooth papers it will completely remove the ink but on paper with more texture it leaves a little ghosting and won’t fully erase. 

One of my typewriter pals does as @skywatcher suggests and frequents thrift, charity and antique shop looking for “boxed” stationery sets. 

The only time I load plain printer/copier paper is when I get a grandkid with an interest to try typing.

Did I mention I love paper?

George

01-10-2024 05:13:07  #4

Thank you very much for your replies. I also two other questions and I'm not sure if I should ask it here on start another ?thread? - I'm new to this.  :-)
The first question is - given that standard office is paper is so bright I found that use coloured paper much easier on the eyes, in particular cream coloured paper.
I also heard that using purple ribbon in the typewriter is also better than black.
I would appreciate some comments on this if that's ok. 
(Sorry for using coloured instead of colored lol)
Query - does Canada use colour of color for their spelling @skywatcher

01-10-2024 10:01:17  #5

I prefer the off-white, ivory, cream colors in papers. The onionskin papers I have are I suppose white and very non-bright. I don't know why brighter and brighter white printer paper became a thing? Perhaps color shows up somewhat better with it.

I have some tried both blue and purple ribbons. For most of my typing I just use black or black/red ribbons. Obviously it's just what ever we each find appealing. In my various and assorted pens though only one has black ink. My favorite fountain pen ink is Bungubox Piano Mahogany. If the ribbon sellers would produce that color I think I'd put it in most of my typewriters. As it is the closest I've found is sometimes I've been lucky enough to get a black/red ribbon where the red has bled into the black. I have suggested the color to the ribbon sellers but so far no one has made the ribbon on purpose.

George

01-10-2024 13:26:04  #6

After watching a Joe Van Cleave video, I've started using newsprint for ephemeral subjects. It's really inexpensive, works well (I use the Avery backing sheets Pete E recommends), and takes ink nicely.

George: I've never heard of Bungubox. Now I've got another fountain pen ink rabbit hole to go tumbling down. (The last was Wearingeul). Thanks! Good thing I just built a bigger ink sample case...

02-10-2024 00:52:33  #7

Hi Again Ruz

Interestingly enough, I was thinking about Joe Van Cleave and his affection towards newsprint paper when I was writing my reply. If you can get Crayola products in Australia, see if you can find the Crayola brand Doodle Pad. The pad contains 60 sheets of 9" x 12" medium weight, off-white newsprint paper. Another option is if you have stores like Dollar-Tree or Dollarama or other low cost stores like that, they will often sell less expensive copy/print paper which isn't as bright as some printer paper. I like the 87 bright paper for general note taking on typewriters.

What kind of writer you are may also have an influence on the weight of paper you prefer. The standard 20 pound (75g/m²) paper limits you to 5 pages in an envelope to stay under the 30 gramme threshold for a postage stamp. I was given some 9½ pound (36g/m²) typing paper a few years ago, 13 pages in a home made #9 envelope still comes in under 30 grammes. One of my favourite airmail papers was Elco brand Atlantic Clipper in pale green, but it's no longer made.

Words like Color, Valor and Honor are like a U-2 song, they can be spelled 'With or Without U'. If you are English, it's Colour, if you are American, it's Color, and if you are Canadian, either seems to be acceptable.

As for coloured ribbons, I enjoy a selection of different colours. Green and Brown are probably my favourites with blue and purple not far behind. Brown type on bright white paper is easier on the eyes than black type on the same paper, but black type looks great on cream, ivory or even green paper. Hope this gives you some food for thought.

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

02-10-2024 10:19:47  #8

robmck wrote:

George: I've never heard of Bungubox. Now I've got another fountain pen ink rabbit hole to go tumbling down. (The last was Wearingeul). Thanks! Good thing I just built a bigger ink sample case...

Rob, the overwhelming amounts of fountain pen inks is crazy and can be a very deep rabbit hole to get lost in. When I was still writing everything by hand I tried to find the perfect inks. Luckily I had a friend using bottled inks in art projects and gave away a lot. Once arthritis made long writing sessions unbearable I could finally find a few inks (less than a dozen) and now keep only four pens inked on my desk. Bungubox is very expensive here in the States so my friend and I made a direct purchase from Japan and the savings more than made it worthwhile. Another set of inks I like a lot is Kobe.

Enjoy the journey, George

06-10-2024 11:06:02  #9

At our previous home, I made wooden window frames for shoji screens with washi paper.  The decor of our previous home was modern-Japanese.

I ended up buying many rolls of washi...as I replaced the paper every year or two in the Spring...as is done in Japan.

I will cut up some of the rolled washi into typewriter-sized sheets and place them in a big heavy book to flatten them out as they are rolled in Japan.

It makes for interesting typing paper.  You can still see the fibers of the mullberry wood-pulp used to make the washi paper.

06-10-2024 16:04:55  #10

Very cool idea, Pete! I want to try that sometime.

Board footera