You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-3-2015 21:11:21  #1

Advice on case & shell, cover remodeling for an Underwood 378?

It is plastic, so I don't think polymer clay is the way to go. Does someone know of some good paint, or a good sticker kind of cover material I could redo a blue Olivetti Underwood 378 with?

Idea is for a birthday present for a nephew who likes "CARS", & I'm going to design our family as vehicles to cover the typewriter. Nephew in question is turning 5; I was given my copy of an Underwood 378 when I was 9 -- it earned me the nickname "Hammerhands". From what I can tell, these things are kidproof. They're loud, yes.. very loud.. but, my nephew seems to be writing very well for a 5 year old, and keeps asking to "Come to Auntie's & play with her blue typewriter".

I have a video, but I am a new forum user. Video is unnarrated because my roommates were sleeping when I captured footage of this duplicate model of the one I had in childhood. Video features machine, and one ink. Typewriter in question has been dubbed "Baby Blue".

They call me "Hammerhands".

13-3-2015 21:13:03  #2

Re: Advice on case & shell, cover remodeling for an Underwood 378?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXiXtDGMVZA Video footage of model in question. Model is Spanish.

They call me "Hammerhands".

18-3-2015 21:46:11  #3

Re: Advice on case & shell, cover remodeling for an Underwood 378?

Hm, I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, but you might Google "custom vinyl skins".  There a companies that wil print custom vinyl decals, like for skins on phones or laptops.  They might be able to do one in a custom format, especially if it's not designed to cover the whole item, but just as a decoration.

Board footera