You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-2-2015 17:36:33  #1

Olivetti Studio 44, should I buy it?

Okay so I have found myself bidding on and winning this Olivetti Studio 44. It's in London, I can go get it. The price I won it for is £20, which is cheap, but it isn't unbelievably cheap for a tatty machine. The one issue he mentioned is that the type is faint to nonexistent at the bottom, thus: Here is the seller's entire description:

“I have noticed that when a letter is imprinted on the page, the lower half isn’t really visible. It could be because of the very old ribbon or perhaps I incorrectly inserted the paper. Please note this before buying. Other than that, it has minor signs of use and wear, most of which are cosmetic. The case is slightly tatty too. Please refer to the pictures.”

So then we email, and he tells me he has others, and sends me a website. The website is called endlessantiques.com and all the typewriters on there look amazingly spruceand shiny, and have massively spruce and shiny proce tags to go with them - actually, unrealistic, though I've gathered you can charge what you want, apparently. I wrote back asking him why, if he does up all these machines, did he notsort this one out before selling it? I asked if he thought there was soething deeper wrong with the machine. He replies that he's flexible on the prices, if ' something I like. He then says: 

"As for the actual issue, I did examine it briefly and it seems that either the basket is at an odd angle or the platen is at the position where the keys hit just the top of the typefont rather than the full print. I don't claim to be a typewriter engineer, a mere enthusiast and tend to not to fix faults that are caused fundamentally by the structure of the typewriter, otherwise I can collaterally damage it. "

So what do you guys think? I think it cpuld be a simple thing to adjust the height of the carriage or the platen, and then I clean it up and it's a nice Studio 44? Or do I decline politely? It looks to be elite;  tbh I'd have preferred pica for this one but I realise we can't be choosers in this....

12-2-2015 17:37:59  #2

Re: Olivetti Studio 44, should I buy it?

Fwiw, at the moment I feel inclined to go ahead with it, but would love some guidance. What I don't want is another of these massive pointless headaches. 

12-2-2015 18:07:37  #3

It's probably an easy fix (adjustment) , but for what it's worth, I think they're terrible typewriters. Actually, terrible is a little strong: I have two of them, and have tried others, and found all to have a very stiff action that is tiring to use. And this despite the fact they have touch control. In terms of its performance I believe that there's a better machine in there, but I just haven't found it yet. If you're very taken with the design and want a large portable, then you don't have much to lose at that price.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-2-2015 18:23:18  #4

Hmm. Well I'm still in love with my SM8 to be honest! To say nothing of the half-restored SG3 the SM3, and my Splendid 33. But I got the Lettera 32 out the other day just to refresh my memory, and that old feeling came back. That old eBay feeling. I've also now got a very cheap 22 with my name on it sitting down in Brighton - I'm going to go get it on Monday and meet a great friend for lunch at the same time, so that's an exciting day all round! 

I guess I did have the mad attack to get the Studio 44, just in an 'Olivetti state of mind' - if it's likely not to be a dead loss I should go ahead with it. I'm curious, anyway, and as you say, it's not a fortune.

12-2-2015 18:24:10  #5

PS: If I can shine it up a bit, as it happens I DO think it's very pretty...

But I also think it very likely that, when push comes to shove, it will all come down to the Olympias every time. 

Last edited by KatLondon (12-2-2015 18:26:27)

12-2-2015 18:42:08  #6

The Studio 44 is a typewriter that people either love or hate, there seems to be no middle ground. I have an Underwood 21 which is mechanically identical, and I love the touch. I think it is very smooth, but it is a little heavy. Studio 44s print extremely well if properly adjusted, so even if I didn't like the touch I would keep my 21 around for those times I want a really nice, clean looking typewritten page.

Also, the one you are bidding on is the less common tan color. Not rare by any means, but less common.

13-2-2015 05:20:56  #7

JustAnotherGuy, thanks - yes, the colour of it is definitely a factor. I don't think I'd have bothered if it was blue, though you never know. This sort of matches the Lettera 22 I'm getting (which seems to be early, but not REALLY early; I'm really looking forward to seeing the serial number on it).

Good to hear your thoughts. I don't think I mind 'a little bit heavy', but we shall see what that looks like in practice! Heavy with snap would be great.

14-2-2015 12:42:18  #8

Right! I'm in the Caffe Nero with my new machine. Nice young guy, I liked him. Serious.

So upon inspection I've established that:
1. It's pica (yay!)
2. It's missing the decal off the back where presumably it should say where it was made
3.Its serial number suggests that it was made in 1953
4.Some of the keys are stiff, but I love the feel of them and they have a beautiful soft clackiness
5. The carriage lock is not working
6. The bell is not working
7.The case is trashed but I have a bag, and
8. There is a Westlife cd in the case with it. I might not take that home
9. I like it!

Now, all I have to do is rid it of the appalling buildup of filth and oil, and adjust whatever it is that's out of alignment!

Last edited by KatLondon (14-2-2015 14:49:42)

14-3-2015 18:25:37  #9

I have found that several typewriters have an adjustment screw that aligns the type on the platen.  There is one for the uppercase and one for the lower case.   The Smith Corona have theirs on the bottom of the machine, easy to reach, just a screw and nut to keep it tight.  You can see the shift go up and down landing on the screw.  A couple of other machines have them in the same place, but look a little different.  The Royals have the screw on the right side of the carrage top.  Some times harder to access.   The 44 may be the same, but worth looking for.   The Underwood standards are different, but accessable, manuals will call the adjustment "on the feet".  

16-3-2015 19:31:19  #10

Hi, thanks for this! Well, there is a sad end to this story. I have tried everything. I've spent hours and hours on this machine. But I deduce from various clues, including the condition of the back of the case, that the machine was  dropped at some point, and that is why it isn't working. The carriage is just f****d. I actually think the guy who sold it to me was disingenuous, because I discovered that he has a website where  he sells reconditioned machines for stupid money. So if he couldn't get this going again he must have known. I got it cheap, but not quite cheap enough for that. 

I thought I was nearly there at one point - & then the carriage started getting stuck halfway, and then it seemed to almost feel a bit LOOSE... this coincides with my having a lodger come for three months and having to clear out the 'typing room' for him. So the flat is full of typewriters and something needs to happen. I really don't have space for a machine that's never going to work.

I'm afraid I put it out on the pavement. I wrote a sign  and taped it to the box saying what it was, which made my oldest kid die laughing - 'some hipster will have it' - and they have. I need to be spending my time writing. Or, you know, getting more work. Or fixing up the machines that are actually repairable.

I know this is a shocking story. But despite all that, I'm glad someone's taken it and it hasn't gone into landfill. It's a pretty thing and I had cleaned it up really beautifully. 

Board footera