You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-3-2015 13:53:15  #1

Futura

I have what looks like a Futura 1959-1960.  But it is labeled a Royal Heritage.  I am not up on my picture posting right now, but I looked up the Futura on line and my Heritage is exactly the same.  One commentary on Typewriter Review does not give it a high rating for serious writing, rather for home use.  Another person rates his as fine.   I hold with the first commentary though I have not used it too much yet.  It needs to have the draw cord spring tightened a little then we will see.  

I wonder who made the typewriter if Royal did not, as Uwe said it was probably "badged" by Royal.

25-3-2015 14:35:49  #2

Re: Futura

Guess I'll Try wrote:

I wonder who made the typewriter if Royal did not, as Uwe said it was probably "badged" by Royal.

You may have misunderstood me. The machine is made by Royal. My point was that the model is just a renamed Futura, and some have speculated that perhaps because it was meant for resale through certain retail outlets.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-3-2015 16:01:38  #3

As I understand it, the Heritage is a slightly stripped down Futura. I might be wrong but that's what I can remember from reading online.

I really like my Futura's type action, so maybe the opinion of how they type differs from person to person.

26-3-2015 13:50:37  #4

I tightened up the spring on the draw-cord and it types better.  I find nothing wrong with it  and am comfortable with it. I haven't done any extended typing with it yet.  The type is straight and in line.  I have noticed that I must get used to a typewriter's action for it to do its best, so I do not judge too soon.  There is a distinctive difference in the action between a Royal and a Smith Corona; and after using one for a while I thought something was wrong with the other, but not so.  It is interesting to speculate what each company was after when they designed their machine--I find it refreshing to change typing on different makes, I might liken it to viewing a different seens out of different windows.

Board footera