You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-3-2015 17:43:51  #1

An extraordinarily special (to me) 1955 Remington Quiet-Riter

I received this typer from from my older sister today. When she discovered my interest in typewriters, she sent me a note saying she had this old Remington. Turns out it belonged to my mom (who passed away a little over a year ago). My sister got it and used it all through college, but she left home when I was still really little, which is why I had no memory of this typewriter.

I have never been very sentimental about objects, but this one is different. I know for sure this one will stay with me for the rest of my life.

26-3-2015 18:02:42  #2

Re: An extraordinarily special (to me) 1955 Remington Quiet-Riter

It looks to be in great shape too! That's a nice story, and I fully understand where you're coming from. When I first started collecting typewriters I had a similar experience when my sister gave me the Smith-Corona she used as a kid and all through school. Like you, it's a machine I'll never part with. Unlike yours, hers had been stored for years in a damp basement and it took a lot to get it back into usuable condition.

How strange that our two machines are only one model year apart, and both happen to be quiet/silent models!

1954 Smith-Corona Silent

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-3-2015 20:42:50  #3

I've always wanted a Quiet-Riter... They seem like pretty solid machines. Lovely story, and it reminds me of my favourite typewriter in my collection. The first machine I have got is a 1965 Olympia SM-9 DeLuxe, which was given to me by my mother. She used it during her middle/high school years, and it still smelled like 1987 when I opened the case. This machine will be the last to ever leave my care, you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead, lifeless hands before keeping it for yourself.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

27-3-2015 08:50:47  #4

My sentimental machine is the 1941 Corona Comet DeLuxe that my father bought second-hand in the 60s right around the time I was born. He didn't use it much but it stayed in the family and survived 4 grubby children playing with it. Somehow it also survived the cleaning chaos and massive giveaways when my parents retired and moved to Florida, and then it ended up in my sister's garage. I finally talked her into giving it to me a few years ago and it's still in great shape and has the place of honor on my desk.

27-3-2015 13:24:47  #5

These are all great stories. I guess I shouldn't be surprised so many typewriter enthusiasts have family mchines they won't part with.

27-3-2015 14:00:58  #6

Wow...I just picked up a Remington Quiet-Riter at a garage sale this morning: $20.  ItI is in a good sturdy case, can't wait to get it out and check it out.  It has a user manual, brush, and looks to be an extra ribbon.

There was also a Smith Corona portable, about 1925.  The cost: $40.   It worked but I don't like to pay that much at a garage sale, passed it up.

27-3-2015 15:08:20  #7

Guess I'll Try wrote:

There was also a Smith Corona portable, about 1925.

If it was a "Smith-Corona", and not a "Corona", then odds are it was manufactured later as the two companies first merged in 1925.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-3-2015 18:25:19  #8

That date was just a guess as I have seen pictures of  1920's protables of diffrent makes. 

Board footera