You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-1-2014 19:49:00  #11

Re: My 'Big Three', but what's number four?

The '20s Underwood Portable that I have types extremely well. And I type extremely fast. 100+wpm on a regular basis. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

22-5-2014 19:39:01  #12

I was given, given mind you, a 1939 Continnental portable made in Germany.  Had to connect a new draw string.  It is a brisk little typer with a percise feeling.   It has a few German letters on it and a couple unidentifiable symbols.   The margin set,is by way of a lever on the left side of the keys, labeled in foreign letters.  I always have to guess at how it sets the margin every time.  The margin release is on the right side by a similar lever, not hard to guess.  I use it only for letters, or things fun to write.  
     It is just fun to use--a clickity clack sound and feel.  It came in a wooden case that I had to repair with a strange latch, logicl but different.  It has that boxy l930`s look, shiny black.  I have seen similar designs of the period.   They must have copied from each other. I read that it was a high quality machine of the times.   But...the factory was shipped to Belgium during the war and cheaper materials of construction were used.  Thereafter, the machine went down hill.  Some think that the factory was shipped to Russia.   But as a pre-war typewriter I like it, never seen another.

22-5-2014 21:35:14  #13

Guess I'll Try wrote:

I was given, given mind you, a 1939 Continnental portable made in Germany. ......................

I have noticed that Continental machines usually atract a good deal of atention in on-line auctions; I guess they are rarer than many other makes, and, indeed, are reported as good typewriters.  Maybe you could post a photo? - would like to see the unusual keys and features.

Sincerely,
beak.

04-6-2014 03:25:32  #14

By way of an update on the Alpina (SK24), I recently found an original brochure for the machine, and, saving my rusty German, it is clear that the machine is fully intended to double as a main office typewriter. 

Unlike Olympia, and most other manufacturers, Alpina did not make a larger 'standard' office machine at all, but put everything into this medium-size machine.  I guess this helps explain why it is such a splendid machine for a 'portable'.

I have another coming over from Germany soon; the slightly earlier all-metal version.  Comparison bewtween the two to follow.

Last edited by beak (23-6-2014 01:31:05)

Sincerely,
beak.

21-6-2014 07:22:39  #15

If you're looking for a Smith Corona to compare, I'd go with the Super-5 Silent Super.  Best portable I own.  I have two Galaxie style Smith Coronas as well - not even close to the same typing experience.  It's like going from a Cadillac to a Chevrolet.  

21-6-2014 18:56:46  #16

I have both a Hermes 3000 and a Smith Corona Sterling.   The SC is an accrate typer, but has a stiffer action and harder touch. The Hermes is superior for its softer and accurate typing action.  I have heard much about the quality of the SC, so I keep it around--it is a sound machine.  But I confess, I like my Royal Quiet Delux1941 better for its easy going and relaxing action.  I really wouldn't want to part with any of them.

29-7-2014 15:16:36  #17

so many descisions how does one decide?

24-3-2015 09:41:22  #18

Hi Beak, I read this thread a while ago but have got two new typewriters this week that make it easier for me to add soemthing here. First off, my favourite typewriter is my 1955 SM3 De Luxe. Second, my next two are my SM8 (1965) and my enormous, rusted and rescued, 1979 SG3. I just think the Olympias type better than anything else - they just WANT to go fast, they make me type faster and better. But I do keep buying other machines, just to see and the other day I very excitedly got a Hermes 2000 - for £3 - and went to collect it. 

Now, it has apparently had a very, even a comically, hard life. It looked sort of SCORCHED when I got it - ink everywhere, marks, and the filth... the carriage return lever doesn't advance the rows, and on poking about I eventually discovered that a little arm in there has SNAPPED. Clean in two. What was that person doing to this machine.

Whatever, it has cleaned up really well (though slowly - and it turned out to be a different and lighter colour than I thought, once I got all the dirt and nicotine off). And with lots of coddling I have got it typing very nicely. Advancing the rows isn't that big a hardship in the scheme of things. The action could not be more different from the Olympias. It almost felt to me as if it was stiff, the keys were reluctant to move, but I gradually realised that, no - it's just a quiet little thing, and the keys do their job without much actual movement compared to the Olympias, or fanfare. It's a really nice little typer actually, I am deciding I really like it and am leaving it out on my desk to get used to it some more. Just quite matter-of-fact. 

AND, the fabled Smith-Corona Silent-Super has now arrived - grey with green stripes and keys, made in 1955. The first one I've ever seen for sale in the UK. I've got it drenched in penetrating oil just at the moment but not before establishing that it is without compare THE snappiest typer I have ever put finger to. I am IN LOVE. The 5 key is discsonnected and needs fixing if poss, and there is rust on the outside, and it will never look as sleek and casually perfect as my SM8. But it is going to be up there with the Olympias for typing. Also it has a truly adorable pica typeface.

Tomorrow I am going to collect an Adler Special, which I can't even find one of on the Typewriter Database. A smallish standard 40x48x22cm. And gorgeous in the same vein as your Alpina, in cream and light grey two-tone, with sweeping curves. The only Adler I've used is my 1972 Tippa which is nice, but... So I am waiting to see how this Adler from ten years earlier will feel under the fingers. 

And I think that's me done with buying for a little while... they were all really cheap, but the flat is filling up again and I'm having to field questions from my other half: 'Have I seen this one before...?'

Last edited by KatLondon (24-3-2015 11:05:57)

01-4-2015 07:03:09  #19

KatLondon wrote:

....................... but the flat is filling up again and I'm having to field questions from my other half: 'Have I seen this one before...?'

You know you have a serious problem when you find yourself hiding TWs so that the numbers don't seem too large to others.  I could be there soon.

I'm still trying to find a Smith Corona Silent Super, but they hardly ever appear for sale here in OZ.  Postage from the States is just ridiculous these days, especially through EBay, who seem to corner U.S. sellers into very costly overseas shipping charges.  Patience is a virtue - one will turn up one day!

Sincerely,
beak.

01-4-2015 08:33:17  #20

I think I'm going to start a thread about the Silent-Super, but not right now as I am meant to be on my way out. Later! (Fortunatley my guy loves the Adler. I knew he would. He hasn't seen the Silent-Super yet but I have bravely put it on a table today...)

Board footera