You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-6-2015 19:43:16  #11

Re: Nice Little Shorthand Copy Stand

BrianE wrote:

retro wrote:

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. I see Grandmother does Gregg shorthand. I was taught Pitman's which is a bit different. Shorthand is like touch typing or riding a bicycle, you never forget how to do it.

Can you read it?  Be interesting to see if it's how she remembers a practice drill or something.  Supposed to be thanking someone for prompt delivery of a back issue of a magazine or something.
Looks Greek to me!
Brian 

Oh yes, being bone idle I can still read it because I use it to write notes as I am too lazy to write in longhand. Gregg shorthand is a bit different to Pitman's which has thick and thin strokes but they are similar. My shorthand pen has two nibs, one for Gregg and one for Pitmans. Just to prove how lazy I am here is a photo or more likely a link to my flickr stream which has my shorthand and typewriter. The first line of shorthand starts off "once upon a time, because that is how all good stories start" It's just less effort than writing, like using a typewriter to do envelopes because it's the quickest way.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7424/16256703828_f93aa30b2d.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7353/15824150153_d36600f5b2.jpg

Last edited by retro (21-6-2015 19:48:07)

21-6-2015 21:36:35  #12

Wish I could write shorthand.

Lazy is such a harsh word...  "Excellent ability, Time Managment" = much better sounding Human Resources lingo.  ; )

Pen spotting:  Parker vac & double jewel parker 51?  What's the 3rd one?

Just curious.

Brian

Last edited by BrianE (21-6-2015 21:37:16)

24-6-2015 12:46:16  #13

BrianE wrote:

Pen spotting:  Parker vac & double jewel parker 51?  What's the 3rd one?
Just curious.
Brian

Well spotted! The pens all date from 1961 and were my school pens when I started a commercial course.  The pen on the shorthand pad is an Esterbrook (made in England) which was the only one that was allowed for shorthand. The Parker is a slimfold vac, one of two, I broke the clip off the first keeping it in my blazer pocket so this was a replacement. Parker pens had real street cred back then. The third is a Platignum, a popular pen as it was the only reasonably priced pen that didn't leak like a seive like the cheaper Queensway.

25-6-2015 11:46:57  #14

Cool.  Forget about Estie & replacable/specialized nibs.  Was surprised (but probably shouldn't have been) to learn quite a few typewriter enthusiasts also seem to like pens.   Here's one I carry around & let people use without worrying too much it.  Not going to win any beauty contests tho.  : )

Board footera