You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-8-2015 16:43:34  #1

Olympia SM4 Troubleshooting Help

Hi, I'm a complete neophyte and I was hoping to get some advice/assistance from those of you who know what you're doing. Any help would be truly appreciated.

The other day, I woke up in the middle of the night and decided I needed a typewriter -- you know, a distractionless writing tool that might actually allow me to complete work. After some preliminary searches, I decided these $600 plus jobs advertised were way more than I wanted to pay, but I'd check the local craigslist just in case. Within the first couple of results was (what I discovered to be) a really pristine condition Olympia SM4 for $75 -- exactly! After doing every bit of research I could on the unit, I called the guy up and gave it a test-run. It was, indeed, as clean as the photos and every mechanical device appeared to function as it could. For $75, I took it home without much thought.

Get back to the house and the ribbon is understandably almost completely dried out, making for some difficult testing. However, it still revealed a problem: the whole keyboard will only type in capital letters (and secondary characters).

Oh, the caps lock button is on, right? Well, no it's not. Tried it both ways -- same results. Anyway, trying to track down a new ribbon or two locally to do some more testing, but I'm at a bit of a loss. I've been through a manual posted online and searched every forum I could in search of a solution, but I'm could not find anything that resembles my problem. Am I missing something easy? Simple adjustment? Or do I need to find a repair guy?

I suppose I also noticed some of the letters can get stuck on each other if I type too quickly, but I think this may have more to do with having typed on computer keyboards my entire life.

Again, thanks in advance.

25-8-2015 19:20:50  #2

Re: Olympia SM4 Troubleshooting Help

The carriage moves right to left freely when you type, and you can push it back to the right freely with the return lever?
Can you grab the carriage and move it up and down?  Does pressing the shift key move the carriage up and does it go down when you release the shift key?

Sincerely,
beak.

25-8-2015 19:54:41  #3

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes the carriage moves as it's supposed to left-to-right, and moves smoothly with the lever when guided left (or right with the release button).

The shift button appear to have no physical effect on the carriage when depressed, nor does the caps lock. I'm not sure if I've missed an additional locking mechanism or if something is caught. I'll have to poke around.

26-8-2015 04:22:22  #4

Sounds as though the carriage may be stuck in the UP position, somehow.  First have a good look along the underside of the carriage with a strong torch from both ends to check that nothing (such as an old piece of packing material) is still there.  Remove if you see any.
If not, trace the links from the shift key (both sides) back into the guts of the machine - try to see how the links operate to raise the carriage - see if anything is not working or not connecting as it should.   And double check that it is not simply the shift lock that is stuck 'on' - its little hook should be disengaged from the bar attached to the shift key itself.

Last edited by beak (26-8-2015 04:26:24)

Sincerely,
beak.

26-8-2015 20:18:37  #5

Sorry if this picture is huge.

After doing some closer inspection on the pathway of the shift lever, it appears to not actually be attached to anything. It moves freely without interacting with anything else. Same on the right side as well. The yellow arrow is pointing at the end of the lever. It will strike the part directly above it if depressed all the way.

You said this is supposed to physically move the carriage up and down to create capital letters, but I'm not feeling any vertical give. Going to search around and see if I can find a picture of some guts to compare. Any insight on how this device is supposed to attach would be splendid, though. Thank you.

26-8-2015 20:44:21  #6

Well, I have no idea what I did, but as soon as I snapped it back in my case platform, everything fell into place.

Types perfectly (minus a ribbon that needs changing), and the shift works as it should. I can't explain what I did, but I'll need to figure it out for later.

27-8-2015 01:39:39  #7

That rocker arm was misaligned - maybe a knock in the post dislodged it?  Glad that it's all OK.

Sincerely,
beak.

13-9-2015 09:23:36  #8

Glad to hear that all was resolved. Congrats on your machine. It's a great one!

24-9-2015 17:09:42  #9

Ah yes, it just needed an attitude adjustment. Or, as I learned when I was a teenager, a Ford adjustment...

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

Board footera