You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-10-2015 07:30:03  #21

Re: 1948 Royal KMM restore/?

You do realise, that there are 3-d printers that are starting to print metal? 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

11-10-2015 11:15:56  #22

Ah, I think we're getting down to the nub of the matter at last. Retro-Z's recent posts show that he is an antique collector. Which is obviously a very big community of old typewriter buyers. But I, on the other hand, am a typewriter user. I just love pounding the keys and I don't care whether the parts inside are original to that model and time period. In fact, it is the later models I am most interested in precisely because they are usually in better shape and often have a superior keyboard feel to the earlier models.
   And it is good to have both kinds of typewriter collectors out there. Those old machines are fascinating to look at, and yes Retro-Z, their value is highly dependant on the originality of the parts and the quality of the restoration.
   Still, I think there is a place for the hobbyist who is fascinated by the mechanical workings that translate human thoughts into ink marks on paper so those thoughts can be shared with others. And the sight and feel of a smoothly working piece of machinery that performs that function well is a delight to me, regardless of it's outward appearance.
   Thanks for your input Retro-Z. Your comments are appreciated. It takes both kinds to keep the dream of personal typewriting machines alive.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

11-10-2015 14:20:12  #23

I'm not here to argue the point either. However, dismissing alternative part replacement methods out of hand as not being practical makes it clear that you (Retro-Z) aren't very familiar with current 3D printing technologies. You can create a part from a drawing if that is what's required, and as was pointed out, this technology isn't limited to plastics. This isn't some vague future science fiction that we're hoping to become reality. It's already here, and with prices dropping as they are it's very close to being a very cost effective method. As for the subject of springs, have you looked at the the myriad spring manufacturers that advertise online? 

I understand that your opinion on restorations is based on their lack of cost-effectiveness, but I'd submit that for some collectors that's missing the point. It's not always about how much a machine is worth, or what a replacement in good condition can be purchased for in order to avoid having to repair it. There are those who perform such work for the sheer satisfaction it provides. It's not a spreadsheet thing, and if you have to look at it on that basis you're not appreciating the reward that comes from bringing a machine back to life. And that's fine. However, you have to hope that there will always be those who like to fix machines, even for no other reason than those who hate working on them can buy working models for a good price.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-10-2015 21:07:03  #24

LOL. Thank you everyone for your replies.

I'm familiar with 3-D printing technologies, though I must admit I wasn't aware that metal 3-D printing is starting to become MUCH more affordable. Previously, I had only seen 3-D plastic printing setups that were financially accessible for hobbyists. Still, with it costing up towards $1,000 for a decent 3-D metal printing setup, it's not exactly what I'd call "inexpensive". Especially when a parts machine in poor condition can supply the CORRECT and ORIGINAL parts for $5 to $50. You are right, 3-D printing is becoming less and less expensive, but it's not a magic solution and does have some limitations, though many of those limitations may be reduced over time as the technology continues to improve. I'll give ya that ;-) 

The experience of repairing an old broken machine is most certainly a thrill. Just this week I purchased a 1930s countertop peanut vending machine with a faulty coin mechanism, and after diagnosing the problem, was able to get it repaired by slightly adjusting the mechanism, and replacing a missing spring. I also added a reproduction decal to the globe (originals simply aren't available). It looks great and works great now, and it's completely awesome bringing it back "to life". Again, as I stated earlier, I have quite a bit of experience tinkering and repairing old machines ranging from vintage/antique firearms to 1970s/80s computers, so my opinions are backed by that experience. Most of those collecting fields also have a fairly healthy market for parts salvaged from other items that aren't economical to repair. Parts scavenging isn't a sin, and in my experience, it has actually proven to be very healthy for the respective field.

I actually DO use my vintage typewriters. I guess I'm just a bit more selective on what I buy, the historical accuracy of the machine itself (I'm a history nut), and what work I'm willing to perform on the machines I choose to purchase. 

For me, if I'm going to invest hundreds of dollars and countless hours into something, it's going to be on finding a truly rare and unique machine, not on performing a full restoration of a common Royal office typewriter. Guess I'm just tired of having projects! LOL!

Please notice that I say "to me", "in my opinion", "I feel", etc. quite a bit. These are MY views, and I try to make that clear. I think it's awesome that we all see things differently, as it helps us all consider other ideas and be exposed to new information, which is always healthy in a field like vintage typewriter collecting and repair. Thank you for bringing up the advances in metal 3-D printing. I'm certainly going to look into that for some applications.

Last edited by Retro-Z (11-10-2015 21:24:39)

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

15-10-2015 09:48:02  #25

If you need help with the remington 10 just PM me
As I am currently tearing a remington 12 down to the frame for a full restoration.
It wasn't as bad as yours but the keys had been removed by key choppers
I also have restored a royal 10 that was in the same shape as your KMM

Last edited by mre12ax7 (15-10-2015 09:50:33)

My blog - Just Typewriters

03-11-2015 10:53:04  #26

For Fleetwing: here's a pic of the right side platen knob, in case it didn't come through in the message.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

03-11-2015 14:54:03  #27

Sent you a PM. Thanks!

03-11-2015 23:19:57  #28

treefaller wrote:

Ah, I think we're getting down to the nub of the matter at last. Retro-Z's recent posts show that he is an antique collector. Which is obviously a very big community of old typewriter buyers. But I, on the other hand, am a typewriter user. I just love pounding the keys and I don't care whether the parts inside are original to that model and time period. In fact, it is the later models I am most interested in precisely because they are usually in better shape and often have a superior keyboard feel to the earlier models.

Wow. I don't know which I am. Or actually, I do: I am a tyro still at the stage of "Oooh! Look! A typewriter!" 

I know I am never going to be dedicated to the level of scholarship some enjoy, nor am I going to be patient enough to enjoy thoroughly immersing myself at the mechanical level. However, I DO get a real blast out of the physical act of typing on a manual machine. So I guess that makes me more user by inclination.

Even at my tyro level I have also got a real kick out of finding that some machines that would have seemed to have needed professional help can be got working by the most minor attention, barely rising to the level of "repair". Literally, two machines which might seemed to have been broken just needed a poke in the escapement. Probably my second eBay portable, which the poor seller took back at a fantastic loss in shipping because he had been incautious enough to say "working" and it did NOT work on arrival, was a good candidate for repair-by-directed-poking. Sorry, my unfortunate trading partner.

But to the point: my first manual standard needing minor attention to set right was a Royal 10, and I thought I was absolutely in love with that machine. But now I have broken its mechanical heart after swearing it would never want for fingers again, and left it for a much younger and uglier fraulein! I didn't even like much her at first, but when she recovered from the dust coating and the beating and demonstrated COMPETENCE, I was smitten. What mechanism! What action! I love you, fraulein SG! 

Yep. I'm just a user.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

04-11-2015 10:20:21  #29

Repartee wrote:

What mechanism! What action! I love you, fraulein SG!  

And yet you haven't yet joined the SG Owner's Club here on TT! Your Fräulein is beginning to sound more like a mistress that you're keeping in the shadows...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-11-2015 19:50:14  #30

Now I'm not sure if I want to fin an SG-1... I love my Royal 10 too much!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera