You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-10-2015 13:41:18  #1

Using the Maintenance & Repairs Sub-forum - READ THIS FIRST

Here are a few tips to keep in mind when using this sub-forum for repair advice:

- Please use the forum's SEARCH function first! Quite a few of the problems that are posted here turn out to be ones that have already been discussed. For example, did you know that flattened case washers on an Olympia SM will cause carriage issues? Search the forum and you'll find this is an often discussed issue.

- Include as much information as possible about your typewriter such as it's make, model, year of manufacture (or serial number).

- Photos can go a long way to making your concerns understood, especially if you are not familiar with the specific names of a typewriter's components. Instructions for including photos in a post can be found HERE.

- Be patient. Typewriter Talk is a community of typewriter enthusiasts - not a 24/7 help desk - so it might take a little time before someone comes to your rescue. 

- Be as detailed as possible with your description of the problem. And don't forget to leave anything out, like a repair you might have tried on your own first.

- Keep in mind that most of the help you will get here won't come from actual trained typewriter technicians, so before you rush into a repair based on the first (and potentially bad) advice given, we recommend either waiting for a consensus to be established or asking for confirming opinions. Of note, Typewriter Talk member thetypewriterman is a professional typewriter technician, and if you're lucky enough to receive advice from him it should be heeded.

​- Don't assume that the advice that you've being given is correct. This is the internet after all. Typewriter Talk is not responsible for the comments or suggestions made by its members, and as such, repairs based on the information found within the Maintenance & Repair threads are performed at your own risk.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-9-2020 22:02:10  #2

Re: Using the Maintenance & Repairs Sub-forum - READ THIS FIRST

Hi to all onboard. I have a technical question regarding a Brother 215 portable. Only the top half of the letter a A hits the Platen. All of the rest of the letters  work quite well. I can't seem to figure out why. Everything is aligned and matches all other parts. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

24-2-2021 11:42:35  #3

Hi, after watching 'Agent Carter' my daughter fancied a go on an old typewriter.  We have recently purchased an 'Imperial 66' which we think has a problem!  We cannot get the carriage to move along on the press of a key (or space bar) even though the carriage moves using the carriage return levers on the actual carriage.  We have checked and the tension drawband is intact and in place but we are now stuck!
Any ideas please?

10-8-2021 21:52:16  #4

I know pretty much nothing about typewriters. My question concerns an Underwood 5 mid to late sixty's. The carriage will not stay in the right hand position. When it is pushed over to the "home" position it just tracks to the left hand end. Is there a key or something that is not in the correct position?

11-1-2022 06:22:44  #5

Good morning
I have just purchased a seventies Imperial Safari which is in excellent condition however the bell will not ring. I've tried everything my extremely limited knowledge permits ie. altering the margins, checking there is an actual bell, ensuring the carriage moves freely but to no avail. I'm hoping it will be something I can fix myself. Would anyone be kind enough to show me where to start? Many thanks. Sue

11-1-2022 07:12:26  #6

I'm having problems uploading photos to my previous post, would someone be kind enough to show me how please. I've clicked on images and tried to drag a photo across but it won't upload. Thanks  Sue

11-1-2022 08:42:31  #7

It seems I cannot upload photos to my post but I've since realised there's a stop that corresponds with the margin set facility. It seems to be metal on a metal arm and doesn't appear to engage, it looks a bit short and I can move it quite easily. During my time fiddling with it I heard the bell once or twice but not since. I'm assuming I'll have to take the rear cover off. Any guidelines would be appreciated. thanks.

11-1-2022 08:52:51  #8

Some people have trouble seeing the pictures they have posted and some people have trouble posting pictures. I don't have trouble with either.

I simply post the pic to a hosting site like https://imgbb.com/ then use the "image" button in the toolbar to insert the link.

Sues wrote:

I'm having problems uploading photos to my previous post, would someone be kind enough to show me how please. I've clicked on images and tried to drag a photo across but it won't upload. Thanks  Sue

11-1-2022 10:17:40  #9

Sues wrote:

Sues, with respect to posting photos please read: Typewriter Talk FAQ - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

Also, please create a new topic (thread) to discuss issues with your specific typewriter.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera